Smoked Chicken and Wild Hog Smoke Sausage Jambalaya with White Beans and Tasso

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Jambalaya and white beans go together like peanut butter and jelly! I smoked chickens with apple and pecan last week after making some modifications to my smokehouse...

DSC02594.JPG

I took a left over whole chicken and half of another one and deboned them, set the meat aside for later. I took the bones, skins and scraps and put them in a pot with 2.5qts. of water to make the smokey stock for the jambalaya...

DSC02643.JPG

I also got the white beans and tasso going...

DSC02640.JPG

I skimmed all the smokey chicken fat off the stock and used that to braise down the onions and celery...

DSC02645.JPG

Add 4# of chopped onion, 1 cup celery, and 1 tsp. medium grind black pepper..
DSC02648.JPG

Cook those onions down until they disintegrate into nothing...then caramelize them some more...it will take about an hour. I add a little water now and then to lift the caramelized onion off the pot.

Add 1.25~1.5# of wild hog smoked sausage and brown that down...
DSC02649.JPG

DSC02650.JPG

Once the sausage has some color, strain the stock from the bones and skins, then add 9 cups of stock to the pot. Add more water if volume is low after straining. Bring to a boil and add the cubed chicken meat.
DSC02651.JPG

Skim the chicken fat off, just get ~80% of it; you need a little in the pot to coat the rice to keep the rice from sticking. After skimming, add 1/2 TBSP. both garlic and onion powder and ~ 1/8c. hot sauce. Boil for about 10 minutes then add 1 TBSP. salt. Check seasoning with a spoon. should be salty and a little on the hot side (rice will absorb salt and pepper). Add 6 cups rice...
DSC02652.JPG

With the stove on high heat, boil for ~2 minutes to pop the rice open, then cover the pot and put into a preheated 350* oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, this is what it'll look like...
DSC02653.JPG

gently fold the rice from bottom to top taking care not to scrape the bottom of the pot. return to oven for another 20 minutes and repeat. After folding the second time you will have this:
DSC02654.JPG

Rice still has a few hard grains. Pop back in oven for 10 minutes and it'll be done...

DSC02657.JPG

Da plate...
DSC02658.JPG

I love jambalaya and white beans-especially when I get to make it with my own smoked meats!! Wish you could smell it, smokey goodness throughout the jambalaya! I have something special planned for the left overs....that'll be another thread though.

Last edited:
Looks like a real fine meal you got going there Inda, Was that 4lbs of onions or did I read it wrong?

Point for sure.

Chris

Looks like a real fine meal you got going there Inda, Was that 4lbs of onions or did I read it wrong?

Point for sure.

Chris
Yes...4# of onions.

Jambalaya is basically a rice, onion and meat casserole cooked down in a stock. The caramelized onions and black pepper are what make the dish. Were I using raw meat instead of already smoked chicken I would have started by frying the meat first.

That looks fantastic! (And I'm sure it smells even better). I made some jambayala about a month ago with some boneless skinless thighs I smoked, and some andouille. I can never find tasso around my area unfortunately :( Just one question - no peppers?

That looks fantastic! (And I'm sure it smells even better). I made some jambayala about a month ago with some boneless skinless thighs I smoked, and some andouille. I can never find tasso around my area unfortunately :( Just one question - no peppers?
No, I do not use bell pepper very often in jambalaya.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky