Left freezer door a jar 24 hours.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I noticed the freezer sounding louder than usual. Went over and door about a inch open. I took out a bunch of baggies with dishes I have cooked in last 6 months and gave to friend. Most stuff still fairly froze but friend gave me some venison last week and it was thawed but still cold. Being that it fresh meat I think will be OK. Have some calamari and couple things like that going to toss. I have hundreds of dollars food in there. I order a latch like I have on another freezer that opens when you shut fridge door. Wish it had a alarm like my side by side!

Had to happen right after getting venison I been begging for few years. It was sitting on frozen food. He is bring me venison sausage and summer sausage tomorrow. I owe him big time!

Here the sausage he made
IMG_2257.jpg

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That food would have to be fully Defrosted and WELL above 50° forseveral hours to go bad. If caught and the Defrosted meat is still cold, I'd just shut the door...JJ

Only concern I would have would be for fish and seafood...it does not stand up well to multiple refreezings...it's a texture thing, though would still be safe to consume. The calamari, good call tossing that...

Reactions: Fueling Around
Interestingly, Calamari and Cuddle fish, are Tenderized by refreezing. Unfortunately, Seafood does seem to be particularly vulnerable to Temperature abuse and spoils quickly...JJ

Reactions: Fueling Around
They have you covered on safety. Also remember partially thawed meat really takes a hit on texture and suffers more freezer burn.
Interestingly, Calamari and Cuddle fish, are Tenderized by refreezing.
I noticed that, too.
But the flavor and texture of fresh caught Puget Sound squid properly cooked is something I still miss. A bit of garlicky aoli.
So easy to turn into the chewiest piece of inedible rubber. That's why we called them o-rings when steaked and over cooked

Reactions: chef jimmyj
We have frequent power outages here and being rural they are slow to fix them. Sometimes I can't get the generattor going quickly enough. If not still frozen but still has ice on it I'll keep it.
I bought a generator just for freezers. I run it once a month but have never needed it. Could not get it to start few months ago and replaced carb. It did not have a inline filter so installed one.

Only concern I would have would be for fish and seafood...it does not stand up well to multiple refreezings...it's a texture thing, though would still be safe to consume. The calamari, good call tossing that...
Fish chowder! That's what I do with the catch that's been in the freezer too long, should work here too.

...provided it was still safely cold of course...

Reactions: indaswamp
Fish chowder! That's what I do with the catch that's been in the freezer too long, should work here too.

...provided it was still safely cold of course...
All the fish and seafood in another freezer. I just had some breaded calamari from 99 Ranch. It the best! That thing still running. Just put some venison sausage and ground in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky