Leek Soup - The last thing harvested from the garden

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
November 11th, 2016

Leek Soup "Alton Brown version"

OK, it's November, the last thing I have left in my garden are some herbs and Leeks. I have been patiently waiting to make this Leek soup for the fall.

My first go around with this soup will be Alton Browns version.

Ingredients

• 1 pound leeks, cleaned and dark green sections removed, approximately 4 to 5 medium
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used salted and 4 tablespoons)
  • Heavy pinch kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
  • 14 ounces, approximately 3 small, Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small (I used Yellow Potatoes)
  • 1 quart vegetable broth
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (I used black pepper)
  • 1 tablespoon snipped chives
Directions

Chop the leeks into small pieces.

In a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender, approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft, approximately 45 minutes.

Turn off the heat and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until smooth.

Combine the heavy cream and buttermilk together

Stir in the heavy cream, buttermilk mix, and white pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately, or chill and serve cold.

Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, 2005

• Leeks are picked, cleaned and chopped.

• Chopped Leeks are sweated with butter then cooked on low heat constantly stirring. I added a few ounces of water to help soften a bit. Butter was starting to brown, I suggest using a diffuser.

• Diced potatoes and vegetable broth are added. Soup is simmered for thirty minutes. I used regular Yellow potatoes, we couldn't find Yukon Gold Potatoes.

• Time for the Immersion blender, I actually ordered this in the spring specifically for this soup, figured I could use it for other things as well. I had one years ago that died and never replaced it.

• Heavy cream and buttermilk.

• After everything is blended. I tweaked with some Salt and Pepper, As you can see, I used black pepper I refuse to spend $5.00 on one of those tiny White pepper spice containers.

• Served with some Fresh Chives and Parsley from the garden.

This soup is a very mild soup, but perked up with a pinch or two of salt. I am guessing this soup is supposed to be fairly mild. I always go heavy on spicing soups, however, I left the soup on the mild side, so folks could control their own salt. I was actually surprised that everyone liked it, 9 folks all said it was very good and no tweaks were needed other than a pinch of salt.

This served with a buttered roll is fantastic.

The only tweak I would make is maybe a few stalks of celery.

Looks good. I have made it a few times. Many classic recipes use Chicken Broth, adds a lot of flavor, as Veg Broth can be pretty bland. I like to add a few sprigs of fresh Thyme as well...JJ

It sure looks good from here!

It's getting to be that time of year, when we break out the soup pot!

Nice job!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky