Least favorite C-Rat or MRE?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I never had c rats because that was before my time. Can't even remember the worst mre but the best was chili mac. Also jalapeno cheese spread was awesome.

Reactions: negolien
As long as you had one of these you could eat. I still have a couple P38's. P-38_can_opener.jpg

They had 2 sizes of the P38’s. , a large 1 came with every case it was very hard to beat somebody to it lol carried a small 1 on my dog tag forever and was glad when I didn’t need it anymore, might still have it somewhere along with some mini Tabasco bottles that came in the mre’s

omelette with ham now there’s like a hundred or more including vegan wtf? Yes mre’s I know what it’s like to give birth lol

Tobasco made everything better.

The stuff I hated as much as ham and lima beans was homemade nhuc mam. Phew What a stink.

• Haha
During military summer training in 1975, I remember eating some kind of rations. C, K, I have no idea. I just remember they were old and mostly canned. I cannot eat Spam today because it reminds me of the overly salted nature of those rations, and I used to love Spam.

Last edited:
  • Sad
"Beef and Boulders " was my favorite C-rat. Tuna was my least favorite along with ham and lima beans. They had a better name but I won't print it here ! :)

• Haha
They had 2 sizes of the P38’s. , a large 1 came with every case it was very hard to beat somebody to it lol carried a small 1 on my dog tag forever and was glad when I didn’t need it anymore, might still have it somewhere along with some mini Tabasco bottles that came in the mre’s
i only saw the large one in T-Rats, don't remember a large one with C-Rats....

Reactions: crazymoon
Thank you everyone for your service.
I'm the missing generation that isn't even registered (turned 19 in 1976) when the military was major downsizing.
Father was WWII and part of civil defense team in home town. I remember looking at the stockpile of ?-rations canned goods from WWII and Korea. I kept asking if these were any good to keep.

Look-out Guys, Here comes another "True Bear Story", and it's about my P-38.

Emergency P-38
Once upon a time, in the County of Bucks, in PA, I was invited to go to a Phillies game, by bus, with The "Richlandtown Fire Company". I was either related to, or went to school with just about everybody on that bus, so I couldn't pass up this opportunity.
The cost of the ticket included an Italian Hoagie & all the beer you can drink, along with the seats at the stadium.
The beer started flowing, before the Bus started moving, however I could predict future problems, because the bus we were using was a Yellow Schoolbus, without a bathroom.
So I saved my Hoagie until I got my seat at the stadium, but I had a few beers along the way to the game.
The Phillies won, so that made the beer flow even faster.
I made one last stop in the Men's Room at the stadium, just before we left, so though I knew I wouldn't make it home, I knew I wouldn't be the first one with a problem.
So we got out of the City, and got to the other end of "The Sure-Kill Expressway" & got on Rt 309 heading North.
That's where a couple guys began reporting having to "Take a Leak". Then it was 3, 5, or more, but the original 2 were in serious problem mode.
So only a Veteran could rise to this occasion, as I whipped out my Trusty P-38, and cranked the tops off of a couple beer cans, and sent them to those crying the loudest. Windows were coming down all around us----Fill--Dump---Fill---Dump---Fill---Dump.

Another 8 or 10 miles, and the Bus Driver pulled off the road, and said he had to go, so everybody else got out too. So now we had 44 guys lined up along the Pennsylvania Turnpike, taking a Whizz. Good thing no cops came by at that time!!
And then you got the original guys bitching "Sure Now He pulls over, after we're all done filling those cans!!"

Just another Day in the life of a "Country-Boy".

Hope You guys enjoyed that one!!

Bear

Thank you everyone for your service.
I'm the missing generation that isn't even registered (turned 19 in 1976) when the military was major downsizing.
Father was WWII and part of civil defense team in home town. I remember looking at the stockpile of ?-rations canned goods from WWII and Korea. I kept asking if these were any good to keep.
Similar situation. I turned 18 in 1979, and thought about enlisting, even though it was shortly after Vietnam and the military still wasn't highly regarded as a career choice at the time. But as you noted, the military was downsizing under Carter. (The attempted hostage rescue in Iran didn't help their reputation, either.)
My father was Air Force 1956-1961. I was born in '61 at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, as Eielson Airforce Base didn't have a hospital. He started working as a civilian for the Army Reserve in early 70's, and had strong feelings about how things were going in '79, so he advised me against it.
But I have the highest regards for those that did serve.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky