LAZY,,, is it just me?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Still like my new offset OK reverse, but am finding it more difficult to muster up th motivation to do a "big cook." I've still got a MB electric (actually have two but one's digital controller took a shit on the second cook, and HD gave me a 140 in it's place. I've been finding myself using the MB electric in lieu of feeding the offset monster a bag of lump and some overpriced chunks to do small cooks. Example. I make "bacon" almost every week and there's always a pork belly with with pink and pepper curing in my spare frig at any time. When I make trip-tips (2-4 lbs.) it's so much easier to set the MB at 225 and fed it chips than to try and moderate heat in the offset for a 2 hr cook for a reverse sear. we are just a two people family and currently have pounds of beautiful butt vacuumed in the freezer. I got a little brisket flat ( cause our meat selection in S Florida sucks), and I'm really considering putting it in the electric smoker. Granted, when we have a party and need to feed masses the offset is great. but not seeing it for a weeknight dinner.
OK rant or random thoughts over.
smoke on....

I use my MES 40 for everything especially Butts and Briskets. I recently got a Chargriller Charcoal Grill with side smoke box for offset smoking. I've used that for short smokes and it is a lot more work, but a totally different flavor. We like the flavors from both, but it's nice once in a while to break it up.

I'm in the same boat. I rarely ever cook for more than just my wife and I, so a large offset would be overkill and I don't really have room for one, so I got the MB gravity feed. In fact, even though it's a set and forget set up, I still use my Weber gas grill for most weeknight cooks.

Me? I can’t wait for the weather to cool down so I can fire up the wooden smokehouse. Trouble? Haven’t seen any other than high ambient temps. Each his own. Carry on.

Mike I had a char griller years ago with the Texas fire box . Made some great food on that thing . Constant struggle for Temps though .
Yes, I've noticed that too. I've only used it about 5 times so far and still learning the nuances, etc. It'll never be like the MB, set and forget. But if I can get it to stay close in temps for an hour at a time, that's not too bad for a 4-6 hour cook. So far Ribs, and Chicken have come out pretty good with a nice flavor.

I went from an Offset to a MES40 10 years ago. I loved the flavor the offset gave and, When I Had Time, to feed the fire enjoyed that as well. But beyond 6 hours for Ribs, I could not put in the time. The MES solved the problem, with reasonably good results. Not the same flavor, but close enough for me and mine...JJ

Exactamundo, I loved my offset stickburner.
Creating and tending fire is one of man's little pleasures going back pretty much forever, UNTIL it becomes a boring chore and/or the ambient temp and humidity combine to make it a living hell trying to maintain 275 as the firebox develops a mind of it's own.
And that's why they invented the gravity feed smoker.

(actually have two but one's digital controller took a shit on the second cook,
Prime candidate for an Auber controller . Be great for doing bacon . Add a mailbox and a smoke tube or tray you'd be all set . Dedicated smoker for bacon , sausage and ham . One for butts , ribs and chicken . Still have the option for a nice relaxing offset cook .

Reactions: MJB05615
I love my stick burner but I only use it in the warm months. I did buy a pellet smoker and, Just like you it sure is a lot easier to use then tending the fire box and since I can go and do other things, I am not using my stick burner as much.
I did use it the forth of July but we had a big cook out and that held and cooked every thing we had.
The Stick burner has the best taste but it is a pain in the butt some times.

I have other cookers that I use more frequently than my stick burner but that's only because of time constraints. When I can plan for it and make time, I absolutely love firing up the smoker at 3:30 in the morning, tending it all day, tantalizing the neighbors, and getting text messages all day asking what's for dinner and what time are we eating. It's therapy for me I guess.

Robert

The biggest reason I switch around is because I like the way different things come out of different cookers .
If I'm using a kettle I set it all up the day before . Snake , drip pan , charcoal starter and season the meat . That way all have have to do in the morning is light the fire and let what ever I'm cooking warm up on the counter while the fire gets going .
Makes it easy .
tantalizing the neighbors,
Lol . I love it . Even if I'm not using my MES , I'll set it to 250 and throw a hunk of mesquite on the burner . Drives the neighbors crazy .

Lol . I love it . Even if I'm not using my MES , I'll set it to 250 and throw a hunk of mesquite on the burner . Drives the neighbors crazy .

Love your approach but here's something a bit along the lines of what is quoted. Our patio faces southwest and gets sun pretty much all day...and it gets HOT here in Central Texas. Being that the smoker is black it draws a lot of heat when the sun is hitting it. I don't even have to fire it up and the sun gets it hot enough to exude the aroma of something cooking. I've seen times when the therms are showing 180 degrees (and they are accurate therms) which is plenty hot for people to think I'm cooking something.

Robert

Its just two of us here too.

My MES30,WSM14.5 and Q1000 are more than enough for the two of us.Plus they all take up minimal room.

I've only used mine 3 times this year, once for a brisket, once for a butt for PP and once for 3 racks of ribs because we had company.
By the time I roll it out, uncover it and get everything ready it's just too much trouble for a small cook just for the two of us.
I also don't like sitting out on the patio even with the ceiling fan when it's 90.
The Weber kettle gets most of the action anymore.

gets HOT here in Central Texas.
Same here . Missouri gets both ends of the scale . High heat and sub zero .
My smokers are the same way . I really run the mes when I'm out there to burn it out and keep it going . Keeps the electronics dry .
Several times the neighbors says " smells good . What's cookin " I won't even have anything heated up . Lol .

I had an offset for years. When I got my MES I did like you a lot of the time. It was just easier especially in the winter or a cold rain. Keeping temp in the offset was just too much work. I now have a Masterbuilt Gravity Series. I’m in love with it. All the ease of the electric and the flavor of charcoal and wood. I’m smoking more often and throughout the year now. I’ve been able to get much more consistent results and dial in my technique.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky