Laying brick in my OKJ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jonathan Carlson

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
One of my coworkers mentioned he placed a layer of brick on the bottom of his smoker. He said it helped regulate/distribute the temperature. Can anyone elaborate more on that cause I don't truly understand how that works. What kind of brick should be used. I think I might try it out, or am I wasting time putting thought into this? lol

Not wasting time. Fire brick will hold heat as opposed to escaping through the thin metal that the OK has. On the Joe the air vent is high enough on the door that if you raise the floor a touch with the brick you still have room for circulation under the grate. It’s not a necessity but definitely will add to integrity of the firebox. This is just my opinion.

Reactions: Jonathan Carlson
Not wasting time. Fire brick will hold heat as opposed to escaping through the thin metal that the OK has. On the Joe the air vent is high enough on the door that if you raise the floor a touch with the brick you still have room for circulation under the grate. It’s not a necessity but definitely will add to integrity of the firebox. This is just my opinion.
Ok, appreciate the input. I only got 2 burns under my belt but it something to keep in the back of my mind to do down the road.

Can regular bricks wrapped in foil be used or does it have to be Fire Brick, & where can you get it
Thanks

Can regular bricks wrapped in foil be used or does it have to be Fire Brick, & where can you get it
Thanks

Regular bricks wrapped in foil may work for a short time. However you risk them cracking/breaking up. Firebrick should be easily found. Lowes has them listed on their website. Not sure if it's an online order or in store purchase.

Chris

Reactions: Jonathan Carlson
Do they just get placed in the fire box or in the cooking chamber as well, thanks for answering all these questions & I'm sorry for highjacking this thread

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky