Lay it or hang it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

12ring

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
New Mexico
I killed a elk in September. Got a 5lb LEM stuffer for Christmas. Killed a deer last week. I can’t wait to make some summer sausage. I built a stick burner but sold my propane stick burner. I would have to build some type of hanging contraption to hang it. Can I just lay it on the rack or do you have to hang it? Thanks.

With my MES 30 I gave up hanging sausage and now just lay whatever I’m doing in the racks. Doesn’t seem like any compromise to me.

No taste quality issues as long there is room all around for Smoke contact. Only other minor issue is the grate will leave contact lines in the sausage. Shifting around, periodically, helps...JJ

oberst, those red snappers are a beauty! I fish off the Florida panhandle for red snappers every year and by the time you pull 2 or 3 from 150 ft of water my arm feels like it's going to fall off.

That’s a fact Humo! Pound for pound they have to be one of the toughest fighters there are. Last time in Louisiana we blew a motor so haven’t had any for a while; dang!

Yup as said as long as the smoke can get around them laying will be just fine if you can put up with the grate marks. Which has no effect on the finish product.

Warren

12R, Stainless steel angle iron makes good hangers if you ever want to build on your stick burner.

Personally I've found I can get more sausage or Sticks in my MES 40 by laying them on my racks instead of hanging them, and I don't have to worry about them touching each other & getting spots that aren't smoked.

My 2 Piasters,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky