Latest Ham.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

horkeyrider

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Heflin, Alabama
7+7+1: Seven days in a curing brine. Seven hours on the smoker @ 250' F. One hour in the oven @ 325' F to cook on a honey mustard glaze. Internal temp. 173' F. (determined by my TheroPro TP08S). My best one so far.

Attachments

• Ham.jpg
    Ham.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 32
Man that looks good, What temp did you take it to? I threw the one I smoked last weekend out. I tried injection method and something was off. I going back to brining. I still inject brine but it stays covered in fluid. Never fails me!

Man that looks good, What temp did you take it to? I threw the one I smoked last weekend out. I tried injection method and something was off. I going back to brining. I still inject brine but it stays covered in fluid. Never fails me!
I also inject mine and then cover it in the brine for at least one day for every 2 lbs. My internal temp. was 173 degrees F. This one was ten lbs. and I left it for 7 days although it could've come out after 5 days.

That is a good looking ham, but with the new USDA guidelines you may want to try to cook it to 140, then after a brief rest on the counter with a foil cover it will reach 145, which the USDA has determined a safe temp for ham. I guarantee you it will be a lot more tender & juicy than when cooked to 173.
Just a thought!
Al

That is a good looking ham, but with the new USDA guidelines you may want to try to cook it to 140, then after a brief rest on the counter with a foil cover it will reach 145, which the USDA has determined a safe temp for ham. I guarantee you it will be a lot more tender & juicy than when cooked to 173.
Just a thought!
Al
Thanks Al, I would love to but there would be a major rebellion from the CEO. She (and I) grew up in the era of "YOU HAVE TO COOK PORK UNTIL IT IS DEAD SO THE TRICINOSIS WORMS WILL DIE!). We both know that is a thing of yesteryear but she is unwilling to let it go entirely. So a compromise is reached.

Thanks Al, I would love to but there would be a major rebellion from the CEO. She (and I) grew up in the era of "YOU HAVE TO COOK PORK UNTIL IT IS DEAD SO THE TRICINOSIS WORMS WILL DIE!). We both know that is a thing of yesteryear but she is unwilling to let it go entirely. So a compromise is reached.
Internal temp of 145* is safe for store bought pork, or all commercially processed pork because the USDA requires the pork to be frozen for a minimum of 30 days. This is what ensures that Tric is killed, if present.
However, pork that you hunt, or butcher on the farm, fresh, must either be cooked to IT of about 175* or frozen for 30 days before use.

Internal temp of 145* is safe for store bought pork, or all commercially processed pork because the USDA requires the pork to be frozen for a minimum of 30 days. This is what ensures that Tric is killed, if present.
However, pork that you hunt, or butcher on the farm, fresh, must either be cooked to IT of about 175* or frozen for 30 days before use.

Or butcher on your farm? I raise pigs and have butchered them here. Please explain.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky