Last of the Perfect BLTs (And Blueberry Zucchini Bread)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Last of the Perfect BLTs (And Blueberry Zucchini Bread)

The Perfect, Fresh from the Garden, Awesome Juicy Tomatoes are near done, depending on where you reside.
Up here in PA, we can get Maters all year at the Grocery Stores, but they’re terrible. Hard, Non-Juicy are not words I like to associate with my Tomatoes, especially for my BLTs. No matter which ones you get at the stores, and no matter how good they’re rumored to be, compared to Fresh From the Garden, they’re terrible!!!
We don’t grow them any more, so if one of my many gardening friends doesn’t give me some, we have local roadside Fruit & Veggie Stands in
my area.

Note: These pics were in my camera for a few weeks, so the last Tomatoes in my area have been gone for awhile.

So I wanted to post one more BLT here while we still had a Tomato worthy of that BLT, so here it is:
First I toast a couple slices of Italian Bread. I don’t like my toast too dark.
Then I slice up a Nice Mater, into some nice healthy thick enough slices.
Then I fry up some Bacon—Often store bought because I usually slice my own Bacon & BBBB too thick for a BLT.
Then I lather up one side of each slice of toast with Miracle Whip (Mayo if you like it more bland).
Then I throw a little Lettuce on one side, because that is the “L” in BLT, and it helps keep the Toast from absorbing the Tomato Juices.
Then I put whatever slices of Mater I can fit on top of the Lettuce.
Then a good amount of Bacon that minimally covers the whole width of the Sammy.
Then I close it up & sometimes slice it from corner to corner, like they do in Restaurants.
Any extra Bacon or Mater Slices can go along side of the BLT Halves.
So this is about it for Fresh Garden Tomatoes for this year, in Pennsylvania.
My next batch of BLTs will likely contain pieces of Canned Tomatoes. (Tests coming soon)

I only ate one BLT this time for a change, because I wanted to save room for a big Hunk of "Mrs Bear's Blueberry
Zucchini Bread".

Thanks for stopping by again,

Bear

I start with Two lightly toasted slices of "Maier's Italian Bread":
IMG_5758.jpeg

Then some Miracle Whip, a little lettuce, and this time My Last Fresh Garden Tomato of the season:
IMG_5759.jpeg

A mess of Bacon:
IMG_5760.jpeg

Ready to close it up:
IMG_5761.jpeg

Cut from corner to corner, with extra Bacon & an extra slice of Tomato:
IMG_5762.jpeg

These "Blueberry Zucchini Bread" loaves were fresh out of the oven, and still plenty warm:
IMG_5768.jpeg

A Peek inside:
IMG_5777.jpeg

You know I like BLT's Try some Pickles on one

Gary

Those are some good looking tomato’s. We get some pretty good one’s around here in Feb., but the rest of the year they are not too good.
Al

The food looks great as always , but that mater is a thing of beauty ! Love a good bit with homegrown .

P.s. I had a store bought blueberry lemon muffin this morning . I bet that bread combo is a good one too .

Bearcarver Bearcarver

I'm with you my friend,

I remember when store bought tomatoes were not so bad.

I really believe that with all the experimenting and cross pollinating that researchers had been doing over the years trying to develop new and "better" varieties of tomatoes they kind of screwed up the whole commercial tomato varieties.

I think nex summer I am going to grow some heirloom varieties and see what happens,

John

That BLT looks pretty damn good. Bread sounds like a great combo. Thanks for sharing.

Thank You CFL !!
I don't know why she calls it Bread---More like Cake to me.

Bear

You know I like BLT's Try some Pickles on one

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
I usually have Pickles on the side, but never in the Sammy!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great Bear! Yeah, summer's over. I'm not ready to go back to store bought matters. I have about 20 left left ripening in the house Then I'm out of fresh too.

Those are some good looking tomato’s. We get some pretty good one’s around here in Feb., but the rest of the year they are not too good.
Al

Thank You Al!!!
All we get in February is Ice & Snow.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

The food looks great as always , but that mater is a thing of beauty ! Love a good bit with homegrown .

P.s. I had a store bought blueberry lemon muffin this morning . I bet that bread combo is a good one too .

Thank You Rich!!
Every time I type "Bread", I think to myself---This isn't Bread---It's freaking Cake!!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
Bearcarver Bearcarver

I'm with you my friend,

I remember when store bought tomatoes were not so bad.

I really believe that with all the experimenting and cross pollinating that researchers had been doing over the years trying to develop new and "better" varieties of tomatoes they kind of screwed up the whole commercial tomato varieties.

I think next summer I am going to grow some heirloom varieties and see what happens,

John

I figure they pick the Tomatoes Green, in California, and ship them to our cold climate on the East Coast. Somebody said they use some kind of gas on them.
None of that works like Ripening on the Vine!!

Bear

Looks great Bear! Yeah, summer's over. I'm not ready to go back to store bought matters. I have about 20 left left ripening in the house Then I'm out of fresh too.

Thank You Steve!!
That time I had the Cherry Tomato plant that grew more than 3,500 tomatoes, when I ripped the plant out of the ground in October, I put all the Green tomatoes on newspaper, on a table, in my basement. There was 927 Green ones, and over the next month 641 of them turned Red, and we ate them too, but they were not the same---A little bit on the Sour side.

Bear

Mrs. Braz is an absolute blueberry addict so this time of year I get blueberry pancakes, waffles, muffins and jam. I'm not complaining.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky