Last nights chucky.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I had so much luck with my first chucky. That it was a given that I'd be doing it gain.

P7241092.jpg

First time using this rub. It was pretty good. Though, I've had better. Gave it a good rub. And let it sit overnight. Then in a pan with a can of beef broth.

P7251093.jpg

Into the smoker at 225 with hickory pellets in the tray. Went to 208 to get probe tender.

P7251094.jpg

Pulled beautifully.

P7251095.jpg

Put in a saute pan with a Tbs of butter. With a can of mushrooms and the drippings. I removed some of the grease.

P7251098.jpg

The original plan was to serve it over German potato dumplings. But the store was out of mix. I'm just going to start doing them homemade. They're easy enough to do.
So, Ann had hers on fries. I had mine on tater tots.
The side dish is something called "Ruined beans" How they are cooked pretty much destroys any nutritional value. I guess this is a family thing. It has been in the family for at least 100 years so I'm told.
You take 4 pounds of fresh green beans. Trim, cut in half, clean. And put in a dutch oven or slow cooker. And a large white onion roughly chopped. And 1 pound of cooked, crispy bacon. Fill the dutch oven with enough water to just cover the beans. Then add 1/4 cup of the bacon grease. Pepper. And add 4 Tbs of salt. That is a lot of salt. But it is so good! Let it go on a med high simmer until the beans are pretty much falling apart. About 5 hours usually.

P7251100.jpg

Not the prettiest thing for sure. But they are delicious!

Good looking meal Steve!! Looks like chuck roasts were quite popular yesterday in the forum. Gona have to try those beans, that's a given. Love green beans and add bacon, even more to love. Great job sir and a big LIKE!!

Robert
p.s. what's with the ketchup??

Good looking meal Steve!! Looks like chuck roasts were quite popular yesterday in the forum. Gona have to try those beans, that's a given. Love green beans and add bacon, even more to love. Great job sir and a big LIKE!!

Robert
p.s. what's with the ketchup??
Thanks Robert! The ketchup was put out by Ann. At first she was just going to have ketchup on her fries. She changed her mind. I put a few dashes of malt vinegar on the beans.

That looks great, looked for 1 yesterday but the only 1 I seen didn't look good to me, I did pick up a almost 5lb pork loin wrapped in bacon, trying to decide how long it might take at about 180 on the pellet burner. Would trade some lol

Reactions: Steve H
Looks good Steve! Love those beans too. I'm "ruined" just like those beans are. lol.

Mike

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
That's one fine piece of work right there Steve, big Like! I was thinking when I first saw that chucky there'd be some spinach or sprouts on the side, those ruined beans look to be a far better compliment. Just a beautifully balanced meal that I'd be thrilled sitting down to. Of course I'd have a glass of cab to go with it! RAY

That's one fine piece of work right there Steve, big Like! I was thinking when I first saw that chucky there'd be some spinach or sprouts on the side, those ruined beans look to be a far better compliment. Just a beautifully balanced meal that I'd be thrilled sitting down to. Of course I'd have a glass of cab to go with it! RAY
Thanks Ray! I'd have those beans more often. But it only works this swell with fresh beans. Frozen aren't quite as good. If I couldn't have found beans, then it would have been spinach.

Man that looks awesome Steve! Gonna have to try them beans, sound awesome...might serve them with a side of cholesterol pill.

Ryan

Dang Steve , that looks pretty tasty. Been wanting to get a chucky to pull for quite some time . Must be the hot ticket around here. Don't get to the grocery store often, but none on the shelves when I do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky