Lang 60 counterweight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wawilkie

Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Hey y’all new member here. Hoping to partake of the wealth of knowledge and experience here. I have a Lang 60 D and absolutely love it. Had it for about 10 yrs and my only complaint is the weight of the door. My shoulders are bad and seems like every time I cook that door gets heavier.
Wondering if anyone has done a counterweight on one of these.
Thanks

Reactions: KimberlyO
Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! I got rid of my offset last year, real bad shoulders here too. If you don't weld you'll need to find a metal fabricator to accommodate the contour of the lid, good luck! RAY

Hey y’all new member here. Hoping to partake of the wealth of knowledge and experience here. I have a Lang 60 D and absolutely love it. Had it for about 10 yrs and my only complaint is the weight of the door. My shoulders are bad and seems like every time I cook that door gets heavier.
Wondering if anyone has done a counterweight on one of these.
Thanks
Should be easy enough weld. I have seen it done in a Lang but can not recall where I saw the pics. I’m considering doing it to the hog door on Big Jake (108).

Welcome to the forum! Post some pics when you can. We all like them.

Welcome, if I were to put a counterweight on a lid it would be a large tube with a fill and drain hole, add water or other liquid till you hit the perfect weight. during cold weather drain if plain water. no need to try to play games trying to get perfect balance with solid steel. You could also add a lever and use a bucket fill when using empty when done.

Reactions: Marknmd
Hey y’all new member here. Hoping to partake of the wealth of knowledge and experience here. I have a Lang 60 D and absolutely love it. Had it for about 10 yrs and my only complaint is the weight of the door. My shoulders are bad and seems like every time I cook that door
I found the video I saw of a counter weight. It was touching. A wounded US Veteran was able to get a Lang and use it with the aid of the counter weight. While it is not a 60 the concept is the same.
C718039E-2269-4B1F-AE2E-179D4CD801C1.jpeg

And you don't have to weld it to the lid. A bolted flange arrangement can work. Even just black threaded iron pipe sections/nipples and a couple 45 or 90 elbows can do the trick. At the rear hang a bucket or water or concrete...doesn't have to be steel. And you can attach it further away from the hinges (which is your fulcrum) than Flatbroke's verteran did to get a bit more leverage.

In fact a single black pipe bolted to the top of the cook chamber with a pulley on top of it will work. Just use some cable or rope from hand to a bucket hanging down off the rear. Gravity is the force that pulls the bucket down. The cable/rope stays under constant tension and the pulley just redirects the direction of the force to pulling up the handle. A 50 pound lid counter-balanced with a 45# bucket only needs 5# of hand force to open.

In fact a single black pipe bolted to the top of the cook chamber with a pulley on top of it will work. Just use some cable or rope from hand to a bucket hanging down off the rear. Gravity is the force that pulls the bucket down. The cable/rope stays under constant tension and the pulley just redirects the direction of the force to pulling up the handle. A 50 pound lid counter-balanced with a 45# bucket only needs 5# of hand force to open.

Thanks for the ideas y’all….the pipe bolted to the top of the chamber sounds like the ticket and thanks for all the welcoms

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky