Lamb / Beef / Pork Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pigcicles

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 25, 2006
Home
Got started smoking my tri-meat smoke this morning just before 7:00. Not much going on yet but pretty smoke. On the menu is a boneless Leg O Lamb, a beef roast for the wife, and a Pork butt for pulling and saucing. Here's a pic before they went into the smoker.

More later as it comes out

Line starts here cheech, you better hurry. It's looking good, the beef is at 140º the Lamb is at 127º and the pork butt coming in at 107º and the fatties still have a bit to go so you still have time

Larry I don't know. I've never done a leg o lamb, or any lamb for that matter. Gonna see how it tastes then go from there. Open for any suggestions though, good question.

yo pigcicles,
i dont have it often enough to be able to 1st hand recommend something...

i do know that in my notes it said to try a mustard style bbq sauce..

this is one i copied from here --i think

"""""""""""""This is the sauce that my family cant get enough of. Here goes
Part 1:
1 cp yellow mustard
1/2 cp sugar
1/4 cp packed brown sugar
1/4 cp water
3/4 cp apple cider vinegar
2 tbl chili powder
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne

Part 2:
2 tbl butter
1 tbl soy sauce
1 tbl liquid smoke

Simmer Part 1 for 30 min, add Part 2,
continue simmering for 10 to 15 more min
let cool and refridgerate for at least 24 hours.
Goes great on pulled pork sammiches,
sometimes I add a little saracha for heat, and dont forget the slaw!!!"""""""

also i have this in my to do list
soFlaQuerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Carolina Mustard Sauce

¾ Cup Yellow Mustard
¾ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
½ Cup White Sugar
3 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tsp. Salt
½ Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
½ Tsp. Soy Sauce
½ Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1 ½ Tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp. White Pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

Sweet - thanks Larry for the info. I'll give it a try

Joe

Update on the smoke progress @ 4 1/2 hrs

The lamb is doing nicely at 145º. It looks good and I am still continuing to mop every 45 min to 1 hr with EVOO, garlic, black pepper, and a little thyme (can't we all use a little time?)

The roast beef is at 149º. I just foiled it trying to get it to tender up a bit. I don't care for tough meat. Will probably pull the beef around 170º - 180º The wife always want her meat way done.

The pork is still cruising at 136º. This meat will be a pulled pork and I will probably foil it also around 170º. I'm making the mustard sauce mentioned in this thread and report back.

The all important smoker has the cruise control set and running between 210º and 240º. I don't want to rush any of the three meats in this smoke, especially the lamb.

More later

Sounds like your having a big 'ol time down there PC! Can't wait to see the finish pics. Shoot, if I step out on the deck I might just be able to smell it. ;)

The roast is done and the lamb is finished, that butt is gonna take some time. I'll post the pics and my reviews when it's all done. Gonna hang in chat for a bit

Okay I have the report for ya. After finishing the pork butt at 5:45 pm (started entire smoke just before 7:00 am) We gathered everything up and headed off to the gathering of family.

Here's the run down: I cooked a boneless leg of lamb, beef roast, and a pork shoulder butt roast.

The roast beef came out at 12:25 at an internal temp of 195º. In my opinion if smoking a roast, treat it like a brisket. This particular piece of meat didn't tender up as I desired, so it took a stroll through the crock pot to finish loosening up. Tasted good, with good smoke flavor both before and after the crock pot - just not tender before.

The boneless leg of lamb came out a little after 1:00 pm at 160º which should have been approx. a medium cook. I'm not a medium meat person unless the cook doesn't know how to cook. I highly recommend to pull lamb out between 145º - 150º.

If you don't like pink meat, then you should maybe consider another beast for the smoker. This piece was overdone and a bit dry. It had good flavor. As I saw it described in one other thread - It doesn't taste like chicken nor does it taste like beef. I would say closer to a venison taste if you had to compare. It may have just been this piece though.

I still recommend giving a shot at lamb if you haven't already - just let it be done closer to medium rare, it should be quite tastey then.

The pork shoulder butt roast finished up at 5:45 pm @ 194º (10 3/4 hrs total for 9.11 lbs or 1.2 hrs per pound) This piece was the most sucessful piece of the day. Very tender, very juicey, tastey smoke flavor with the spices from the rub tickling the taste buds. After pulling the butt, it rested for just over an hour before pulling.

I didn't have the time for the mustard sauce today, but will definitely get it done later. I hate to rush any new recipe for fear of pulling a bone head mistake like double this and none of that. I did have the Carolina Red Pork Sauce which was pretty darned good.

Pics for viewing pleasure:

Leg of Lamb @ 160º

Roast Beef @ 195º

Leg of Lamb sliced

Pork shoulder butt roast @ 194º

Pulled Pork when finished

Review shows that:
1) I shouldn't think when I'm not used to it. Don't over cook lamb.
2) Roast beef is called roast beef for a reason. It's tastey smoked, but not ideal smoker material unless you are willing to maybe finish in another manner.
3) Pulled pork is GOOD
4) Three individual different pieces of meat - 40ish Dollars, Whole day spent smoking and continued learning - No Charge. Time spent with family when it's all over and still getting compliments - PRICELESS

Oh and there were plenty of left overs

Keep Smokin

Sounds and looks great PC. A day spent by the smoker and then feeding hungry and appreciative friends and family is truly priceless. Another job well done. :mrgreen:

Good job PC...Although the meat didn't turn out exactly as expected...the time with your smoker & time with the entire family is the best time ever. Thank's for the pics.

Nice post PC:D

I tried a boneless leg of lamb a while back and had about the same experience
rolleyes.gif
. I think it may be one of those things that either you are a fan of or not.

I have found that imported Australian lamb has a much more gamier taste than the domestic American lamb...I always use the American lamb....the results are always worth the effort...

Maybe I will have to try it again then Richard. Mine was an imported boneless leg of lamb and it was extremely strong tasting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky