Labor Day Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pellet user

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
My wife took her Dad who is a Vietnam Veteran on the Honor Flight to Washington DC. The plane was delayed for mechanical repairs (always makes you feel good). So far 3467 vets from WI have gone to visit the memorials since it was started. This flight was its 36th and was the first time all branches of service were represented. To all the vets I am thankful for your service.

I started out the day thinking at about 20 minutes a Lb on a scant 16Lb bird I was going to be cooking about 5 1/2 hrs. Patted the skin dry and let it sit on the counter for 1/2 hr. Rubbed some EVOO on the skin and seasoned it with some Weber Kick’n Chicken and some Hard Eight signature seasonings. Fired up the Grill until it was at 350deg F.
6146261E-0CB9-4D03-862A-4BF2FF880D54.jpeg
Put my ThermoPro probe hanging in the air so I could double check what the grill was reading. Within 5 deg F so that works for me. Put the bird on and after an hour it was looking good
E7C903E1-C1AE-406A-BBB7-30B68EB74CDB.jpeg

Had the neck and heart for a little chefs treat early in the cook. After 2.5 hours I decided to put the 2nd probe in the breast. 130 already so I knew I didn’t need another 2.5 hours. So I took the first probe and put it in the thigh. Both probe were at 160deg F and climbing when I pulled them out.
977DE6CD-782B-453C-88B3-09B35C47F44D.jpeg
Covered the bird in foil and let it rest for almost an hour. Took a wing and thigh off and took a few slices of breast off. Juicy and delicious is all I can say.
B729FE89-4616-4BFB-98EB-124C97992B72.jpeg

Wish I could get my dad to go as there are direct flights from Providence to DC,but his health is so poor.Not to many WW2 vets left to tell the real stories,once these folks are gone all that will be left is today's revisionist history.

Yum and yum again! Looks perfect.
Had the neck and heart for a little chefs treat
People have always looked at me strangely when I said I want the neck. My Mother-in-Law would never let me have the turkey neck. It always went to the gravy flavoring and then the stuffing. Good job.
Don

Good Looking Bird, Pellet User!!!
Like.
Tell your FIL, Bear said "Welcome Home" for Me!

Bear

Wish I could get my dad to go as there are direct flights from Providence to DC,but his health is so poor.Not to many WW2 vets left to tell the real stories,once these folks are gone all that will be left is today's revisionist history.
One WWII vet on this flight 92 years old. Keep asking you dad it is a very moving experience. We had one Vietnam vet speak at the dinner last night. He said it helped him with his PTSD.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky