KUDU Rotisserie Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I just spun my first turkey. After injection and 24 hours in a brine, it was time to spear this little bird and throw it on the KUDU. I’ve done chickens but nothing this big. After bouncing around a bit and stopping for a couple readjustments, it settled in for 4 hours on the spinner heated by some local seasoned California Live Oak. I put the wild rice and mushroom stuffing and the acorn squash under the KUDU dome for about an hour.

It turned out (pun intended) to be the best big bird I’ve ever made. This will be our new tradition. However, I will not put the stuffing in the smoke, though, as it was too much, even after I covered it after 20 minutes into the cook. But that bird! Wow! It was so crazy tender and flavorful.

I put it all on a single platter since it was just the two of us this year and I took a fancy picture for the GRAVY throwdown but totally forgot to do the code word thing. Haha! Maybe next Thanksgiving.

577348B8-17C9-46D9-BFC8-BA75DD6A0A02.jpeg

09341474-7EF7-4444-AA96-EE502B164D1E.jpeg
Resting before carving.

46D6E4EC-6F6A-473A-A9EB-F5B8EE03BF89.jpeg
Super crazy tender and so much flavor.

674AEC10-B23F-4E7F-B20C-ED7022AA4302.jpeg
I won’t smoke stuffing again. Maybe it needs to mellow like smoked cheese or bacon? I’ll find out tomorrow after it sits in the fridge overnight.

59A082D3-82D6-436C-902A-E26109A5BFB4.jpeg
Well, this would have been my Gravy Throw Down picture but I forgot to include the code word because I was too excited to eat. Oh well, it was worth it. I broke my diet for this today and it’s going to take me a week to get back on track. I’ll just hike and swim longer tomorrow.

Looks delicious Sven. I’d share a table for that for sure. Nicely done. I do agree that things like rice or stuffing should not be in the smoke, but yeah look at that bird!

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Great job Sven, Turkey looks great. And done on your spinner, great
Let us know about the stuffing on second day.
Glad you enjoyed the meal , I would not worry about the 1 day off the diet .
You are doing fantastic in that field and good for you to stick to it

David

Nice!! Yeah, it's tough sometimes to get the tines right to keep it from flopping.
I was thinking about a turkey on the KUDU but couldn't find one under 15#.
Love the way it browned up on all sides!

Looks delicious Sven. I’d share a table for that for sure. Nicely done. I do agree that things like rice or stuffing should not be in the smoke, but yeah look at that bird!
Unfortunately, it had an almost bituminous taste to it, not even smoke. I won’t be doing that again. Live and learn. My best discoveries have come from making mistakes. I’m okay with that.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Great job Sven, Turkey looks great. And done on your spinner, great
Let us know about the stuffing on second day.
Glad you enjoyed the meal , I would not worry about the 1 day off the diet .
You are doing fantastic in that field and good for you to stick to it

David
I’ve lost 120 lbs this far and I’m literally 3 lbs away from my goal and 3 weeks to get there and Thanksgiving hits. Haha! These last few lbs are a battle but I’m gunna win.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I’ve lost 120 lbs this far and I’m literally 3 lbs away from my goal and 3 weeks to get there and Thanksgiving hits. Haha! These last few lbs are a battle but I’m gunna win.

Nothing to say but , you are a very dedicated person. And driven to get what you want . Good for you :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
Don't forget xmas meals are coming in a month from today,
so loose 5 lbs and than splurge a little for christmas

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky