Korean Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I love Korean barbecue. I had a chicken and I wanted to fire it in the Traeger Timberline and decided to marinate it with Korean flavours.

I will point out that this is not an authentic Korean recipe. I just used flavours common to that culture.

Start by mixing up the marinade:

• 150 ml (2/3 cup) soy sauce
  • 100 ml (1/2 cup) brown sugar
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup) water
  • 25 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
  • 25 ml (2 tbsp) sherry (I used cooking sherry)
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) honey
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) minced garlic
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) ground ginger
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) Sriracha Sauce
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) onion powder
Spatchcock a 1.2 to 1.5 kg (2 1/2 to 3 pound) chicken. Cut two slashes just through the skin on each side of the breast and each thigh. Cut another slash through the skin on each drumstick.

Put the chicken in a plastic bag and added the marinade. Let the chicken marinate for 4 hours to overnight, turning occasionally.

Korean Chicken 01.jpg

Take the chicken out of the marinade and discard the marinade. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and put it in a 350 F (177 C) smoker (it can be cooked in an oven but will not have the smoke flavour).

Cook until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken breast is over 165 F (74 C), about 1 1/2 hours.

Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.

Korean Chicken 02.jpg

Cut into serving size pieces. Cut the wings off. Cut the drumsticks off. Cut the thighs off. Cut the breast into two halves and cut each breast half in two.

Korean Chicken 05.jpg

Korean Chicken 06.jpg

The Verdict

This was very tasty! The skin got a wonderful colour, but the wings got quite dark. I thought I might cover them with foil after half the cook next time but, they taste so good, I won’t bother.

The flavour was sweet and had the great soy/sesame flavour of Korean barbecue. It was delicious!

Disco

Attachments

• Korean Chicken 02.jpg
    Korean Chicken 02.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 12
Disco, Looks great! The marinade and the color of the chicken look perfect. I am gonna try this method and recipe. It has all the flavors I like. Thanks for sharing, nice work.

Disco...what's not to love? That is a stunning late of food. Beautiful preparation and a decadent presentation. Excellent work sir!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky