Knives for traveling.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
The wife and I go on vacations a few times a year. Not including weekend get aways. And I've gotten pretty tired of having to work with dull, nicked, and otherwise worthless knives that are supplied at these places. I'm not expecting a 1000.00 set of Henckels. But at least something that'll cut a tomato without any issues.
So, last week I made it a goal to find a set that would meet my needs. The needs were pretty simple:
1- Have the most common day to day blades.
2- Have decent reviews.
3- Include a travel case if possible.
4- Be sturdy. Possibly full tang or at least a tang that goes through the entire length of the handle
5- Hold a good edge. At least long enough to survive a 10 day vacation.
6- Price be sub 100.00. So if I forgot a blade it wouldn't be a big deal.

And after looking at close to 100 different sets. I came across a set of knives from " Classic Cuisine"

P2280653.JPG

The set comes with a 7" Santoku, 5" Santoku and 4" paring knives. And a 8" sharpening steel and heavy-duty zip-close nylon bag .

Closer view:

P2280654.JPG
P2280655.JPG
P2280656.JPG

They arrived pretty sharp. But I went through them and gave them a better edge. They will slice through a ripe tomato with just their weight now.
Time will tell how well they hold a edge. Most reviews say they do well under normal use. They came with a steel. Which I've never used. Just a electric 3 stage
or stones. Though I did have ceramic rods years ago that have long since disappeared. I might study up on how to use one.
Now for the price. I found these ranging in price from 75.00 to 25.00. I naturally went with the 25.00 with free shipping.
Without having used them to any degree I will say the quality looks ok. They appear to be sturdy and have decent heft to them. The tang does go through the handle. Balance has a bit to
be desired. But they are usable for the day to day homebody. They are not "pro-chef" quality that the site claims! I would imagine a true chef would snicker at these and
toss them in the dumpster.
I guess I'll find out there worth this summer!

Last edited:
A great review, now You have put your edge on i am sure they willl great.

Not sure if you have gone this road, I just had to say.

15 years in meat industry, price point + cheaper and better, I reckon proper butcher knives like dexter Russell are best for buck, hold an extra sharp edge. not the culinary ones, butcher knives,Made for industry. Carbon Steel or stainless. Awesome knives.

The wife and I go on vacations a few times a year. Not including weekend get aways. And I've gotten pretty tired of having to work with dull, nicked, and otherwise worthless knives that are supplied at these places. I'm not expecting a 1000.00 set of Henckels. But at least something that'll cut a tomato without any issues.
So, last week I made it a goal to find a set that would meet my needs. The needs were pretty simple:
1- Have the most common day to day blades.
2- Have decent reviews.
3- Include a travel case if possible.
4- Be sturdy. Possibly full tang or at least a tang that goes through the entire length of the handle
5- Hold a good edge. At least long enough to survive a 10 day vacation.
6- Price be sub 100.00. So if I forgot a blade it wouldn't be a big deal.

And after looking at close to 100 different sets. I came across a set of knives from " Classic Cuisine"

View attachment 434006

The set comes with a 7" Santoku, 5" Santoku and 4" paring knives. And a 8" sharpening steel and heavy-duty zip-close nylon bag .

Closer view:

View attachment 434007View attachment 434008View attachment 434009

They arrived pretty sharp. But I went through them and gave them a better edge. They will slice through a ripe tomato with just their weight now.
Time will tell how well they hold a edge. Most reviews say they do well under normal use. They came with a steel. Which I've never used. Just a electric 3 stage
or stones. Though I did have ceramic rods years ago that have long since disappeared. I might study up on how to use one.
Now for the price. I found these ranging in price from 75.00 to 25.00. I naturally went with the 25.00 with free shipping.
Without having used them to any degree I will say the quality looks ok. They appear to be sturdy and have decent heft to them. The tang does go through the handle. Balance has a bit to
be desired. But they are usable for the day to day homebody. They are not "pro-chef" quality that the site claims! I would imagine a true chef would snicker at these and
toss them in the dumpster.
I guess I'll find out there worth this summer!
Don’t drop them on your toes!

It looks like you really got a lot of bang for your buck Steve. That's a nice looking set of blades and should serve the purpose well. We do most all our vacationing in our Lance cabover camper, usually towing a 16' Alumaweld Talon. I recently swapped out the kitchen set of Food Network blades to Wusthof Classics. I have to get one Wusthof Ikon Classic 9" Cooks knife to complete my set for home, then the old block will go in the Lance. RAY

Reactions: Will Squared

15 years in meat industry, price point + cheaper and better, I reckon proper butcher knives like dexter Russell are best for buck, hold an extra sharp edge. not the culinary ones, butcher knives,Made for industry. Carbon Steel or stainless. Awesome knives.
I usually keep a couple i-cut Dexter's in my travel and camp gear. Having a Solid travel go-to selection is priceless. Usually I can manage with a chef/santoku and a paring knife.

Often when I fly, I don't alwas check bags if I can manage . I have mailed myself my knife roll if I'm going to be somewhere I'll need them.

i know you found something already but came across this on Amazon.
XOSMOS Professional Bamboo Cutting Board with Durable 7 Piece Knife Set and BPA-free Mats - Premium Chopping Boards, Space Saving Butcher Blocks - Kitchen Accessories, Multifunctional
looks interesting

That’s not a bad idea to travel around with some knives to take on vacation.

I cook less on vacation, but the houses we rented didn’t have much for cutlery.

Now, that you got me thinking of those times....buy a bottle opener and throw in that bag. I could remember the times when I rented a place and after a long drive...no bottle opener!!! Now I have one attached with a lanyard to all my coolers.

In my younger days, I had a tool box with everything I could want in kitchen tools. Knives, whisk, spatula, spoons, measuring tools, even a Cake Decorating Set.
Nothing wrong with those knives that THIS Chef would scoff at!. I carried a small flexible plastic cutting mat. Roll it up and tuck in the bag...JJ

• Haha
Last year I bought a folding Havalon Baracuta to test out, which is basically a handle that has exchangeable scalpel blades. It came with 6 skinning style blades, and I bought 6 fillet blades. So far I'm liking it and even though the blades are designed to be throwaways, a couple of passes on a hone keeps them in top shape. The fillet blade is great for prep work, and the stiffer skinning blade is good for slicing.

LW2pkKv.jpg

For my traveler knives, I've been a fan of the Kershaw Blade Trader series for many years. I have an older set with a wooden handle and a newer set with a rubberized handle, and I also have a fillet knife with 2 blades. The kit is pretty small and has a good assortment of blades.

xZM0Kl2.jpg

AC53gdA.jpg

Thank you!

It looks like you really got a lot of bang for your buck Steve. That's a nice looking set of blades and should serve the purpose well. We do most all our vacationing in our Lance cabover camper, usually towing a 16' Alumaweld Talon. I recently swapped out the kitchen set of Food Network blades to Wusthof Classics. I have to get one Wusthof Ikon Classic 9" Cooks knife to complete my set for home, then the old block will go in the Lance. RAY
Thanks! I think these are a good bargain for the price. We'll see.

Nice find Steve!

Let us know how they work out .

John
Thanks! I'll be using them to see.

Yea no toe drop trials please. Waiting a final report Steve they do look good but that doesn't really say much looks is not everything.

Warren
LOL! I hope not! I'll keep you posted.

Now, that you got me thinking of those times....buy a bottle opener and throw in that bag. I could remember the times when I rented a place and after a long drive...no bottle opener!!! Now I have one attached with a lanyard to all my coolers.
I have a bottle opener attached to my pack. Along with a cork screw. Can never be too prepared!

In my younger days, I had a tool box with everything I could want in kitchen tools. Knives, whisk, spatula, spoons, measuring tools, even a Cake Decorating Set.
Nothing wrong with those knives that THIS Chef would scoff at!. I carried a small flexible plastic cutting mat. Roll it up and tuck in the bag...JJ
Thanks Jimmy! I thought these were a decent deal. I'll be running them through some steak soon!

to help maximize the time it keeps sharp don't forget the type of cutting board, wood as i'm sure you know, i tried doing a quick amazon search for a role up one with no luck.
just a suggestion.
That will be my next venture, a portable cutting board. Most places have either plastic, or tempered glass boards. Plastic will do. But I hate the glass ones. I could take one of my bamboo ones. But a roll up cutting board has been mentioned. And I'm going to look into those.

I'm different. I bore quickly with take out or restaurants. On a 10-14 day vacation that adds up to alot of food that can be hit or miss. Or questionable in quality. Though I'm a junk food junky. Just don't want it that many times. So if there is a kitchen. I'm going to prepare some of the meals. Usually dinner. With some breakfasts here and there.

Reactions: Jabiru
That will be my next venture, a portable cutting board.
did you see the link i tried to put up
XOSMOS Professional Bamboo Cutting Board with Durable 7 Piece Knife Set and BPA-free Mats - Premium Chopping Boards, Space Saving Butcher Blocks - Kitchen Accessories, Multifunctional

did you see the link i tried to put up

Yes, I did. A nice set up. Just looking for the cutting board or mats though. I wish I would have seen this sooner!

Yes, I did. A nice set up. Just looking for the cutting board or mats though. I wish I would have seen this sooner!
im thinking of getting it, when i go on vacation i useually only eat lunch out. and like you said the knives are usually crappy.

im thinking of getting it, when i go on vacation i useually only eat lunch out. and like you said the knives are usually crappy.

If you do buy it please post up your thoughts. I'm still thinking about that set.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky