Knife recommendations for trimming

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdawg

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2011
Riverview, FL
I made my first whole brisket a month or so ago. Trimming it was a chore, though, mostly becuse my knives just weren't sharp enough and it
seems like they were the wrong shape, compared to the ones I saw a in couple of videos online. My knives are a lot slimmer and shorter than the ones in the videos.
I am looking to pick up a couple new ones, but don't want to go overboard on them.
Many of the links in some of the other posts are out of date and the links are dead. Almost all of them lack search terms so I don't even know what brands/styles they used to point to.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for knives for trimming? (I do know what to look for in a slicing knife, so that's not a problem)
Thanks!

As pops says. I buy actual Butcher boning/trimming knives like victornox Or dexter Russell, Mainly carbon steel Knives.

I have some 20 years old and still super sharp and useable. Cost me like $50.

Superb quality, affordable and are made for holding and edge.. Every size shape you need.

A good filet knife works well for me, a Victronics would be my choice

As pops says. I buy actual Butcher boning/trimming knives like victornox Or dexter Russell, Mainly carbon steel Knives.

I have some 20 years old and still super sharp and useable. Cost me like $50.

Superb quality, affordable and are made for holding and edge.. Every size shape you need.
They no longer produce carbon steel, only stainless steel for professional USDA approved use.

Last edited:
The guys have you covered well. If you are strictly TRIMMING with NO BONES in the mix then a ceramic knife is so sharp it makes quick work of anything u need to trim on a brisket.
Because ceramic is brittle u dont want to use it near or around bones.

Here's an inexpensive set with a 6 inch chef knife that will do the trick and some other knifes too if you want to dip your toe into the ceramic pool. Yes you could buy better more expensive ceramic knives but honestly if you've never had a ceramic knife of any kind you dont know what you are missing and a set like this will get your feet wet.... JUST DON"T CHOP YOUR FINGERS UP! Ceramic is like 10X as sharp as your regular knifes lol

I prefer a basic 6" chef's knife for trimming. There are a lot of different choices and prices in that size. If you have a decent sharpener, a stop by Goodwill might get you a great knife for a buck or two. It's worth a look.

Also, I'm the worst at manually sharpening knives. Just never got the knack for it. I use this to greatness on my Pro S set from Henckels.

1590083211220.png

Reactions: noboundaries
Knives are one area I don’t scrimp ... a quality knife is a joy to use and lasts forever.
Despite having a full set, I use a 7” chef, a boning, and a paring 95% of the time

I learned the hard way with cheap knives and invested in a set of Henckels forged knives.a small investment that I will never regret. being a woodworker you learn cheap tools don't make your job easier just the opposite. I use the boning knife religiously and use the Brod and taylor to keep sharp. an investment you will never regret.

Carbon steel is best for edge retention, stainless looks nice but as you stated hard to get a true and lasting edge. I myself have forged knives from Henckels and I couldn't be happier I keep them sharp and at worst I just realign the edge and I am good to go.I also use a Brod and Taylor knife sharpener that won't take metal off blade if just touching up.Don't let knives s get dull just straighten the edge!

Two of my favorites are Case and Uncle Henry. Or an Old Timer....like me

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky