Kitchen knife etiquette

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
When you fumble and drop a knife:
A- never, never try to catch it. Check
B- step back. And let it fall. Check.
C- protect feet. Umm...

P2230631.jpg

D- turn foot into target. Check! OUCH!!!

Yup, right through them.

Well Steve back in my golfing days we'd have referred to that as a "stroke of bad luck". 7-8 years back while prepping stuff for making sausage my FIL, who was about 87 then, stumbled near me and I instinctively made a move to grab him before he hit his head on the kitchen counter. That was a trip to the ER and six stiches in my thumb, another sausage making accident. RAY

• Wow
Reactions: Steve H
Well Steve back in my golfing days we'd have referred to that as a "stroke of bad luck". 7-8 years back while prepping stuff for making sausage my FIL, who was about 87 then, stumbled near me and I instinctively made a move to grab him before he hit his head on the kitchen counter. That was a trip to the ER and six stiches in my thumb, another sausage making accident. RAY

Ouch!

Ouch steve! Glad it wasn't any worse than that. It all happens so fast...a good reminder for all of us to " stay on our toes" . Sorry, just had to. But on a more serious note, several years ago my wife's great uncle was cutting some partially frozen venison and the piece of meat slipped off the counter and he tried to catch it at the same time sliced his main artery on his inner thigh. 15 miles to closest hospital, thankfully his daughter was working in E R at the time and they were ready for him. He didn't have much blood left by the time they got there but he lived.

We should all be careful
Ryan

• Wow
Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Makes you wonder sometimes , how that " stuff " happens . My trouble is with all the numbness in previously smashed fingers and such , I don't even know I'm cut until is see blood on something else .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Ouch steve! Glad it wasn't any worse than that. It all happens so fast...a good reminder for all of us to " stay on our toes" . Sorry, just had to. But on a more serious note, several years ago my wife's great uncle was cutting some partially frozen venison and the piece of meat slipped off the counter and he tried to catch it at the same time sliced his main artery on his inner thigh. 15 miles to closest hospital, thankfully his daughter was working in E R at the time and they were ready for him. He didn't have much blood left by the time they got there but he lived.

We should all be careful
Ryan

Thank god! You never really know what can happen. Some years ago I tried to recover the glass pot for our coffee machine that slipped from my hand. In the process of trying to catch it. It slammed and broke on the edge of the counter. Which nearly severed my pinky.

Makes you wonder sometimes , how that " stuff " happens . My trouble is with all the numbness in previously smashed fingers and such , I don't even know I'm cut until is see blood on something else .

I have a finger that is like that. Doesn't feel heat until it is near a blister.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky