King Me!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Already told you nice job on the cook , but I went to apprentice school with a big ol' country boy . He'd come to class , damn arms all tore up . " What happened ?"
Ah I was noodlen , got into a snappin turtle ,,, or , noodlen and a dang beaver in the hole ,,,
Not me . I'd rather be dropped off in a bad part of town after midnight .

Meal still looks great .
I hear ya! My best friend's uncle just about drowned doing that. I'll take my fishing pole, treble hook, and some chickens livers over sticking my arm where it doesn't belong.

... but I went to apprentice school with a big ol' country boy . He'd come to class , damn arms all tore up . " What happened ?"
Ah I was noodlen , got into a snappin turtle ,,, or , noodlen and a dang beaver in the hole ,,, ...
He's lucky to have all 8 fingers (and 2 thumbs) after messing with snapping turtles.

I messed up the editing and it took me a few tries to fix it.

Last edited:
Sheesh, snapping turtles are bad enough.

But what's worse is a fat, ill tempered and aggressive Cottonmouth deciding he wants to discuss your intrusion with you personally.
I've heard of that happening several times.

And even worse...
Down here in the Southeast we've gators, and yes they'll try to eat you.

Excellent looking Mackerel cook John, or should I say King John.

Point for sure
Chris

Love me some King Mack! We don't get as many as you guys up there, but I don't toss em back. I'm with you though, Catch, Fillet and Release.

Grew up king fishing all the time with my brothers. Mom would cook what we caught the same day and I still miss it. she would take the leftovers and make king mackerel salad. Basically, tuna salad except with king, and it was insanely good.

Reactions: chilerelleno
chilerelleno chilerelleno The mackerel looks fantastic - my favorite of all the food in the ocean, excluding Uni, which is like seafood-candy to me. You sure know how to cook and eat.
Thank you, very kind.
LOL... I have an Associates in cooking and a Doctorate in eating.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Grew up king fishing all the time with my brothers. Mom would cook what we caught the same day and I still miss it. she would take the leftovers and make king mackerel salad. Basically, tuna salad except with king, and it was insanely good.
chile1stking2.jpg

G'morning John, and thanks.

Raw it is a dark gray flesh, but it cooks up a nice off-white.
It might do well as faux SeaRoach if not overcooked.

The two species of mackerel we've down here are not bony.
There is the spine, ribs and lateral line pin bones, the spine, ribs are a none issue when filleted and the pin bones are easily removed.

Looks Awesome!!
The only Mackerel I ever had was "Salt Mackerel", which My Grandmother used to make nearly every Sunday morning, and I was always invited.

Bear

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky