• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

King Me!

5GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 12, 2018
Already told you nice job on the cook , but I went to apprentice school with a big ol' country boy . He'd come to class , damn arms all tore up . " What happened ?"
Ah I was noodlen , got into a snappin turtle ,,, or , noodlen and a dang beaver in the hole ,,,
Not me . I'd rather be dropped off in a bad part of town after midnight .

Meal still looks great .
I hear ya! My best friend's uncle just about drowned doing that. I'll take my fishing pole, treble hook, and some chickens livers over sticking my arm where it doesn't belong.

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
... but I went to apprentice school with a big ol' country boy . He'd come to class , damn arms all tore up . " What happened ?"
Ah I was noodlen , got into a snappin turtle ,,, or , noodlen and a dang beaver in the hole ,,, ...
He's lucky to have all 8 fingers (and 2 thumbs) after messing with snapping turtles.

I messed up the editing and it took me a few tries to fix it.

Last edited:

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Sheesh, snapping turtles are bad enough.

But what's worse is a fat, ill tempered and aggressive Cottonmouth deciding he wants to discuss your intrusion with you personally.
I've heard of that happening several times.

And even worse...
Down here in the Southeast we've gators, and yes they'll try to eat you.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Excellent looking Mackerel cook John, or should I say King John.

Point for sure
Chris

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Yikes with all the noodlin’ stuff. I’ll stick to fly fishing, thanks!

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Yep, no noodling for me :emoji_fishing_pole_and_fish:. That plate looks delicious.
Like...

drdon

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 20, 2012
Love me some King Mack! We don't get as many as you guys up there, but I don't toss em back. I'm with you though, Catch, Fillet and Release.

Danblacksher

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 15, 2022
Grew up king fishing all the time with my brothers. Mom would cook what we caught the same day and I still miss it. she would take the leftovers and make king mackerel salad. Basically, tuna salad except with king, and it was insanely good.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Grew up king fishing all the time with my brothers. Mom would cook what we caught the same day and I still miss it. she would take the leftovers and make king mackerel salad. Basically, tuna salad except with king, and it was insanely good.
chile1stking2.jpg

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Man that looks good. Nice job John. I made your spicy coleslaw other day and that the best I have had. Going to make it for a fish fry this weekend.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
G'morning John, and thanks.

Raw it is a dark gray flesh, but it cooks up a nice off-white.
It might do well as faux SeaRoach if not overcooked.

The two species of mackerel we've down here are not bony.
There is the spine, ribs and lateral line pin bones, the spine, ribs are a none issue when filleted and the pin bones are easily removed.

Looks Awesome!!
The only Mackerel I ever had was "Salt Mackerel", which My Grandmother used to make nearly every Sunday morning, and I was always invited.

Bear

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Don't know how I missed this one, fantastic looking dish! RAY

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.