Kinda new to smoking. Very new to the forum.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Original Bad Bob

Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
I've read a few articles on the forum since getting a Chargriller combo propane/charcoal grill with the add-on smoker box about 3 years ago. That's out at the summer place on the lake. Since I'm outside Albany NY it's usually inaccessible for the winter. So I just got an MES for the house. I picked up the cold smoker attachment for that and just did my first batch of cheeses and some almonds last week. Outdoor temps in the high 30s to low 40s kept the chamber temp below 65 for the whole smoke. I was just reading a thread about how the color takes a while to develop on cold smoked cheese. I was wondering about that since mine barely darkened at all after 3.5 hours. It's all vac packed and waiting for a few weeks in the fridge.

Welcome to SMF from Gilbert, AZ, you landed in a great spot Bob! I don't smoke cheese myself but other who do will surely chime in. BTW, great name, my dog is named Bob. RAY

Welcome! You have arrived. there is a cheese section - maybe check there? I cant help with that - I dont have the cold smoker box on mine :(

Welcome from ohio! The thread you read may have been one I started a while back. Yes the color will change with time. If you can wait that long. Lol. Usually I smoke mine for 3 to 4 hours and there is very little color change at the time of smoke. Vacume seal and into the fridge to rest a while. After a few weeks it has taken on some color. And continues to get darker weeks after. Not that the color has anything to do with flavor. But it does look nice . just dont try and get that color right out of the smoker. It would take too long and the amount of smoke on the cheese would be extremely bitter and not very tasty.

Welcome to SMF from Arizona.

Sowsage is right, I just did my first cold smoke of cheese.
Check this thread out:

After a week (2 or more weeks are better) this is what the Asiago looked like.
1st picture....

John

Thanks Smokin' in AZ. So now according to the first thread, I just need to wait a few weeks for my fingerprints to appear on the cheese. Lol.

Your cheese darkened up nicely. I'm not a big fan of Asiago, but smoky cheesy meatball stuffed shells sounds pretty awesome. I did mozzarella, cheddar and gouda this time. Maybe a mild provolone next time will be my ticket to meatball heaven.
Bob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky