Kettle Pizza on 22in + S/S Baking Steel Top + Baking Steel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carlo olivares

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Manila, Philippines
I just ordered a 22in Kettle Pizza kit with the s/s Baking Steel top attachment and have been excitedly planning my set up.
I was wondering- has anyone here tried using a carbon steel Baking Steel instead of a pizza stone while cooking on the KP with a steel top? Does it make it easier to hit 900F temps for that coveted 60 second neopolitan pizza cook? Appreciate the feedback 🍕🍕🍕 Carlo

Reactions: JLeonard
carlo olivares carlo olivares

I have two carbon steel Baking Steels and have used them in my oven, gas grills, charcoal grills, under the broiler, and on my stove cook top. I have never had a any problem with them ever.

They are more versatile and far superior to any pizza stone out there.

Have at it my friend,

John

Last edited:
[QUOTE="BandCollector, post: 2197909, member: 26591
carlo olivares carlo olivares

I have two carbon steel Baking Steels and have used them in my oven, gas grills, charcoal grills, under the broiler, and on my stove cook top. I have never had a any problem with them ever.

They are far superior to any pizza stone out there.

Have at it my friend,

John
[/QUOTE]

Perfect! Thanks John!
🍕 Carlo

I have the stone that came with my pizzaquee attachment and found that if I have it in the oven on broil while my charcoal is lighting before I pit it on the grill it helps a lot

Reactions: carlo olivares
I have the stone setup & at 800-900 degrees it browns the pizza almost immediately. But the key for us is not to load the pizza up with too many toppings or the crust will burn before the top is done, even with the s/s top attachment. I also put the wood in the back of the kettle so that there is no fire under the pizza. I have a stone that I don’t think they make anymore, but it has a slice taken off one side so the heat & smoke can rise & run across the pizza & out the vent. If I can find a photo of it I will edit this post to include it. But we do love the pies that that setup produces!
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/attachments/4-jpg.372608/
1615133485143.png

Here is the thread I got the photo from.
Al

I have the stone setup & at 800-900 degrees it browns the pizza almost immediately. But the key for us is not to load the pizza up with too many toppings or the crust will burn before the top is done, even with the s/s top attachment. I also put the wood in the back of the kettle so that there is no fire under the pizza. I have a stone that I don’t think they make anymore, but it has a slice taken off one side so the heat & smoke can rise & run across the pizza & out the vent. If I can find a photo of it I will edit this post to include it. But we do love the pies that that setup produces!
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/attachments/4-jpg.372608/View attachment 488044
Here is the thread I got the photo from.
Al
Thank you good to know that 800-900F is reachable. Thanks for the tip re the toppings!

Thank you good to know that 800-900F is reachable. Thanks for the tip re the toppings!
Sorry about the blurry picture.
I use a Lodge cast iron pizza griddle in my kettle cooker between 800-900*
20190729_202406.jpg

I find that 900 is too hot and my bottoms get way to dark/boarder line burn.
850- 865* seems too be the sweet spot for my dough.

The stone works fine it just takes longer to heat up.
I like the cast iron much better.

Good luck post up some pies.
20190828_204916.jpg
20190729_204410.jpg

The last picture was my best crust ever, but the awesome thing about pizza is even your mistakes normally taste great.

Have fun with it.
Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky