Keto hamburger gravy and mash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
The comfort food thread a few weeks ago got me thinking about hamburger gravy. It truly is one of my favorite comfort foods. Decided it would be my big prepped meal for the coming week. Let’s get to it. Two sweet onions diced and browned with a little oil in the 17” Lodge that I’m using.
677CDA96-B91F-4329-8EE9-C2483B26F3F8.jpeg
54BAEA37-3E77-4F5C-A0D5-4D315CE22B18.jpeg
Onions set aside , 6 lbs of 80/20 ground beef into the pan. This Pampered Chef tool is the greatest thing ever when doing crumbled ground meats.
4DC77F70-CCF7-4D40-BC84-65D159F6FCEB.jpeg
096EB505-07EC-4FB1-AE58-DCB3AE91D9A1.jpeg
Set the meat to the side straining to leave all the fat in the pan. Add 2 1/2 cups of double strength Minors beef broth and 2 1/2 cups heavy cream to the fat. Roughly 1 1/2-2 t each garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
504B9041-7570-45D1-B33D-41C2D9019DE5.jpeg
Once the mixture is good and hot soften 20 oz cream cheese in the microwave.
4432F69B-7C09-4542-A61C-A0073E063188.jpeg
Add some of the hot broth mix to the container with cream cheese and blend thoroughly with an immersion blender then add into the cast iron pan and stir. Doing this instead of trying to melt the cream cheese gives a much creamier result instead of a lot of small dots of cream cheese. I add a little kitchen bouquet for color but it’s optional
52C3BE9E-5F95-4AEB-A900-3CCA9D647440.jpeg
0C7FEECD-3868-4F73-AEDC-A1979EF30DAB.jpeg
Add the ground beef and onions back to the mix and simmer for 15-20 minutes. At the end I added 1/4t xanthan sprinkle over the surface and stirred in. This small amount thickness just right but doesn’t give a slimy texture
BC987F57-5F44-497B-893B-DCBE9A8B8ED9.jpeg
45EC3F96-0C3D-4DDD-92E7-54DF9641003C.jpeg
Finished product in the serving bowl.
13C5A066-61B2-47A0-AF5E-0572C8C094C7.jpeg
Here is the mash. Was pressed for time so no step by step. I’ve posted my basic mash several times. This one was turnip cauliflower blend as usual spices with ranch dressing mix and 6 cheese Italian blend I had on hand.
79239D10-45C3-4E37-B74E-203B4B0CF85B.jpeg
Time to eat.
250EB5CF-632C-4D62-846F-305B2A9A4171.jpeg
Definitely hit the spot!! This one’s popular with friends too so will pack some to go’s tomorrow. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 931AF0D1-B15E-4C0D-B52F-60E753F497EE.jpeg
    931AF0D1-B15E-4C0D-B52F-60E753F497EE.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Man, that looks delicious Jeff. I grew up on hamburger gravy but we always added mushrooms, shaggy manes to be exact. Yours just looks delicious, nice work. I like a lot.

Reactions: TNJAKE and jcam222
Man, that looks delicious Jeff. I grew up on hamburger gravy but we always added mushrooms, shaggy manes to be exact. Yours just looks delicious, nice work. I like a lot.
I like to add shrooms too. I have a buddy who’s family I often share with and he’s allergic to them. I assume you foraged the shaggy manes?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Yes sir we foraged them. It was the only local mushroom that did not have a sinister twin on the toadstool side when we found them, usually in September we knew they were good to eat. Shaggy’s are incredible shrooms so rich in flavor. We harvested and bagged then froze them by the bucket full. So delicious.

Reactions: jcam222
Nice!! I haven't had that since the Army. They kind of turned me off from it. I might make this though. It looks really good.

I have not had hamburger gravy since Judy & I were a young married couple with a couple of kids. I just have to make a batch of that, or have Judy make the gravy she made when we were younger. It just looks delicious!
Nice job as usual Jeff!!
Al

I have to admit. It's not what I expected when I opened up the thread Jeff. I was expecting an open faced hot hamburger sandwich(which is a favorite of mine). Boy was I surprised!!! That dish looks great. It's on the must do list.

Point for sure
Chris

Phenomenal piece of work Jeff, another well deserved carousel ride! You sure do some cooks for a crowd, enough there for a small army. RAY

Absolutely stunning Jeff!! Leave it to you to take what has historically been a basic dish and turn it into a masterpiece. Simply amazing my friend and congrats on a much deserved ride.

Robert

Does look good, could eat a plate of that any day!
Thanks!
Does look good, could eat a plate of that any day!

Some good looking stuff Jeff. Belly warmer. Sleep inducing. Nice work bud

Wow! Get in my Belly!! Great job.

Dave

Nice!! I haven't had that since the Army. They kind of turned me off from it. I might make this though. It looks really good.

I have not had hamburger gravy since Judy & I were a young married couple with a couple of kids. I just have to make a batch of that, or have Judy make the gravy she made when we were younger. It just looks delicious!
Nice job as usual Jeff!!
Al

That looks delicious!

That looks really tasty. And relatively simple. Nice job.

Now THAT is making me salivate! Hungry as a grizzly bear just awake from hibernation now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Phenomenal piece of work Jeff, another well deserved carousel ride! You sure do some cooks for a crowd, enough there for a small army. RAY

Absolutely stunning Jeff!! Leave it to you to take what has historically been a basic dish and turn it into a masterpiece. Simply amazing my friend and congrats on a much deserved ride.

Robert
Thanks all for the kind words! I truly appreciate it. This stuff is darn good and is likely one of my favorite personal recipes.

Reactions: nicefly
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky