Keto’d Halupki (Polish Cabbage rolls)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
So our good friend xray xray shared his multi generation Halupki recipe with us a few weeks back. tx smoker tx smoker jumped on it first and made an amazing batch along with some pierogies from Steve H Steve H Someone else got in on the action with the piggie soup version. I decided I needed to do a keto’d up version as we have always loved them but the rice and store bought soup blow out the carbs for us. The only changes I made were using my homemade cream of tomato soup vs Campbell’s (recipe here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cream-of-tomato-soup-and-grilled-cheese.313644/ ) and replaced the rice 1:1 with shredded zucchini. You can find the overall spice mix here in Robert’s thread https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ner-pics-of-course.313579/page-4#post-2306048 Alright let’s get started. Like most cooks I do I’m making a ton for not only is but for friends and family so basically a double batch. I mixed 3 lbs ground sirloin, 2 lbs ground pork and 1lbs ground veal with 4 cups of zucchini and the spices, onion soup mix , Worcestershire and eggs. I did add extra salt.
204351EB-56F8-43E4-BD90-F30B49D07AA8.jpeg
79496C10-1944-4D92-8E83-2D14AA26123F.jpeg
I didn’t capture pics but I used the microwave method to soften and separate cabbage leaves. Cut in half, cored and then nuke in a bowl with 1/2 cup water around 20-25 minutes. Works very well Ended up using about 2 1/2 heads and yielded 40 rolls. I layered some of the imperfect leaves in the bottom and covered them with a thin layer of soup.
1ED850C4-3593-4374-B083-1EACC92D30D0.jpeg
Next up I layered in 20 cabbage rolls per full pan
061DAC3C-E9FA-46B2-BC2C-14BC3EE5B9DC.jpeg
Next step was to layer on some kraut. I used a full bag of kraut on each pan. I did rinse the kraut in a colander first.
AD28EC34-3552-4722-829E-4BA7A54FAF60.jpeg
Next up covered liberally with my soup mix, did not measure but did by feel. I like a lot of juice with mine. Topped off then with more of the scrap leaves. I have never put leaves on the bottom and top before but have to say I love it as it yields extra cabbage cooked in the sauce to serve with rolls.
4599A7B0-78F7-44B2-9820-94B53F1799B5.jpeg
C28675A9-A5BD-452E-92EB-162FA96D1B64.jpeg
I baked these about 2 1/2 hours @ 350F. Checked with thermometer to insure ground meat was 165F. Here is is fresh out of the oven. Lots of extra sauce just how I wanted it! Going to be so good with the plated meal.
60B6F4F5-F982-4CC6-87BE-2AA3652377FD.jpeg
I whipped up a giant batch of my White truffle Gruyere cauliflower turnip mash. I’ve shared the recipe here several times. Happy to send it if anyone wants. Here it is plated up. The naturally sweet creamy mash is the perfect compliment to the tangy sauce produced by the kraut ,soup and meat. This is a keeper. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe Joe.
10759384-41F3-4158-8256-3C86BE7FA74F.jpeg
Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I KNEW IT!! As with everything you showcase here, you take it to a whole 'nother level. That is simply amazing Jeff and Joe (as well as his grandmother) should be proud that you thought enough of the recipe to take it to this extent and turn out a magazine quality meal. I am duly impressed my friend.

Robert

I KNEW IT!! As with everything you showcase here, you take it to a whole 'nother level. That is simply amazing Jeff and Joe (as well as his grandmother) should be proud that you thought enough of the recipe to take it to this extent and turn out a magazine quality meal. I am duly impressed my friend.

Robert
Thanks so much Robert. It’s very tasty and I’ve enjoyed leftovers a lot as have my family and friends.

Gorgeous dish Jeff, sure looks like a ton of work, and well worth it! RAY
Thanks Ray! Once I got going rolling it wasn’t bad. Hardest part is just getting enough workable leaves. Especially true in the winter around here. In the summer I can get huge cabbages.

Last edited:
OK Jeff, between you and Robert, y'all are going to make me do this. Looks great!!

Go for it Charles!! You won't be disappointed, especially if you use Jeff's tomato soup recipe...which I plan to make tomorrow or Tuesday. Weather is about to take a turn for the worse and it'll make a great dinner along with a grilled cheese sandwich :emoji_wink: With your brood though, you'll want to make a Jeff sized batch but I bet you get a lot of high 5's from the family.

Robert

Sure looks great Jeff !! I love that little bit of green added at the end for the plated shot.. That plate is beautiful!! And great idea with the zucchini for the rice substitute!

Reactions: jcam222
Insane! That looks so good I’m drooling even though I’m stuffed!! Beautiful plate and all around cook at each step. Amazing thread as always and a keeper too!
B6D388D4-D1C2-4045-A4F4-EEC1A796727B.gif

Jeff those are some great looking halupki and I’m glad to see you were able to get a recipe out of it to call it yours.

The extra sauce and cabbage is always great, I definitely load up the cabbage on my plate when taking a roll or two.

Once you mix the meat and get the cabbage prep, assembly goes a lot faster than you think. Another method for the cabbage I never tried is to core the cabbage and freeze it in a freezer bag. When you’re ready to use it the leaves should be soft enough to roll once it’s defrosted.

That looks fabulous Jeff. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Missed this one . That looks great . Never had that dish , but have wanted to try it . You guys make it look so good .

Nice Job, Jeff !!
I'd be all over those Halupkis!!
Been loving them, since my Best Buddy's Hunky Mom used to ask me to stay for Dinner, 57 years ago.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky