Keeping smoker at lower temps for thermal processing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DServiss

Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
I have been making my own snack sticks and wondering what others do to keep temps down for thermal processing. I built my own smoker cabinet and use wood for smoke and propane for heat. I have issues when i am trying to keep my temps down under 150 degrees what suggestions are there for help thanks in advance

Extra Fresh air intakes. Bottom of cc or top of fb etc. Helps with cooling the cc. Works really well in cold weather. Introducing 30F air lowers the CC real quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: DServiss
Frozen 1 or 2 Liter bottles of water work nicely. Unfortunately they take up space on the lowest rack...JJ

Get a low pressure regulator and needle valve to control the propane flow.....
ALSO.... You will need to modify the burner to allow for lower propane flow.....
Plug 50-75% of the holes... Be sure the flame will ignite at all the holes during start-up...
Burner BTU reductiion4.png
Burner BTU reductiion2.JPG

Get a low pressure regulator and needle valve to control the propane flow.....
ALSO.... You will need to modify the burner to allow for lower propane flow.....
Plug 50-75% of the holes... Be sure the flame will ignite at all the holes during start-up...
View attachment 411966View attachment 411967
My burner is a low pressure it was purchased thru teja smokers i also purchased low pressure regulator and needle valve I will sure give blocking off some of mt holes and see if that helps thanks for the help

Extra Fresh air intakes. Bottom of cc or top of fb etc. Helps with cooling the cc. Works really well in cold weather. Introducing 30F air lowers the CC real quick.
I have often wondered about the intake and exhaust air but when I open up the intake I have in bottom doors I was thinking the wind was blowing out my burner at the lower temps I tended to the smoker the whole time while I was cooking under 150 to make sure if fire went out I was there to get it relit but maybe that was not my issue. Thanks for suggestion will do some more research on air intake and exhaust

My burner is a low pressure it was purchased thru teja smokers i also purchased low pressure regulator and needle valve I will sure give blocking off some of mt holes and see if that helps thanks for the help
Tejas smoker burners are 40,000 BTUs so if you block half the holes, you will have 20,000BTU's.
You do not mention the size of your smokehouse, but IMO, bigger is better when trying to control the temp below 150*.

I have often wondered about the intake and exhaust air but when I open up the intake I have in bottom doors I was thinking the wind was blowing out my burner at the lower temps I tended to the smoker the whole time while I was cooking under 150 to make sure if fire went out I was there to get it relit but maybe that was not my issue. Thanks for suggestion will do some more research on air intake and exhaust
The beauty of running fewer holes is that the flame will be higher on fewer holes at the same flow rate. This will help keep the flame from blowing out....it also gives you a finer adjustment on the flowrate before blowout....

Tejas smoker burners are 40,000 BTUs so if you block half the holes, you will have 20,000BTU's.
You do not mention the size of your smokehouse, but IMO, bigger is better when trying to control the temp below 150*.
it is appox 16 cu ft of cook space

The beauty of running fewer holes is that the flame will be higher on fewer holes at the same flow rate. This will help keep the flame from blowing out....it also gives you a finer adjustment on the flowrate before blowout....
i am going to try it again this weekend will give your advice a try thanks

it is appox 16 cu ft of cook space
I've got 36 cu ft. and I run 9,000 BTU's when I Hot Smoke Sausages. I can dial the temp in 5* at a time if I want to, but in the heat of the summer when it is 90*+ outside, I have to crack the door to let heat out.

You may have too much burner unless you smoke sausages exclusively in winter....

I've got 36 cu ft. and I run 9,000 BTU's when I Hot Smoke Sausages. I can dial the temp in 5* at a time if I want to, but in the heat of the summer when it is 90*+ outside, I have to crack the door to let heat out.

You may have too much burner unless you smoke sausages exclusively in winter....
told you

Told you wrong it is a 32 cu ft smoker 4 ft x 2 ft x 4 ft

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky