Keeping my wood from burning to quick?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

frosty91

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Illinois
Hey guys I use a brinkman trailmaster. And I've had it for almost 3 years now, I use charcoal for main heat source and wood for the smoke. I have always just thrown the chunk of wood on the coals to get my smoke. Decided to try this to keep the wood from burning up to quick? Thoughts or opinions? Just a grill rack over the coals than wood chunks on the rack

I use a charcoal basket in my offset it is made out of diamond cut steel 15" x 15" with a solid divider down the middle. I fill 1 side up with charcoal and mixed wood chunks then put a dozen lite briquets on the other it slowly ignites the other side. Maybe something like that would work ?

How quickly or hot you burn the wood (or the charcoal for that matter) will affect flavor. I don't know to what degree but if you smolder the wood vs actually burn the wood you will achieve different flavor characteristics. Again, it may be negligible and even undetectable since you are burning charcoal too. have fun and see what happens. Let us know how it works out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky