Kamado K5 Restore

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininidaho

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
N. Idaho
Will be posting pics of my Kamado K5 restore here. Thanks Jeff for adding the Kamado section here!
k51.jpg

Can you still get the tiles or do you already have them.

Good luck with the restore.

Chris

Reactions: smokininidaho
Coming along pretty good, got some tiles on. BTW it took me 3 weeks with oven cleaner and liquid wrench, and a propane torch to get the chimney stud assembly free of gunk and rust so I could turn it, works just fine now. Working on the original charcoal grate now as it was broken in pieces in the bottom of the cooker when I bought it, have it put back together now with furnace cement and refractory cement.
kamadorestore3.jpg

Same color as the one I have. Bought from Richard about 20 years ago----still going strong!
Do you know if a Big Green Egg charcoal grate will fit inside? Mine is cracked.
Dale

Thanks, one is on the way. I have always had a problem keeping a constant temp for long (12 & hrs) cook. Maybe this will help to keep a steady temp.

Well after finding more tiles wanting to come off I removed all the tiles on the top of the K5. Bought the correct cement and now just have to regrout. Hopefully will last another 20 years. If anyone knows where I can find a new or used lid handle I'd appreciate it.

kamadorestore.jpg

Well over a year in the works and finally got some grout work done. Of course this thing works great the way it is, just would be nice to have it look better cosmetically. Still looking for a lid handle.

kamadok5.jpg

I think it looks good . Do you have a picture of what the lid handle looks like ?
I'm assuming it's wood . If so I could make you one .

I think it looks good . Do you have a picture of what the lid handle looks like ?
I'm assuming it's wood . If so I could make you one .
Not sure what they looked like originally. Thanks for the offer. Maybe I could just get a wood dowel drill it, stain and varnish?

I did some lookin around , but not sure what you have . Is the brand Kamado ? I saw some the were just a handle between the bracket , but others were longer and followed the radius of the cooker .

I did some lookin around , but not sure what you have . Is the brand Kamado ? I saw some the were just a handle between the bracket , but others were longer and followed the radius of the cooker .
Yes, it's a Kamado K5 built by Richard Johnson circa 1995. If you look at the pic there is just a bolt there for the lid handle.

Let me know what you want to do . I have enough scrap in the shop to do something . Not looking for any money . Just would need some numbers .

Let me know what you want to do . I have enough scrap in the shop to do something . Not looking for any money . Just would need some numbers .
Thanks chopsaw, very nice of you! 4 7/8" long, 1/4" hole. Want to at least pay for shipping.

How far back from the end of the bracket is the mounting bolt ? Whats the width of the bracket ?
These are a couple of weber handles I did . Was thinking of doing something like this .
20190111_202926.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky