Kamado joe classic vs classic 2 top vent

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kitchenbro

Original poster
Jun 24, 2022
Does anyone have a preference? I just got a classic 2 and I’m finding it more difficult to maintain a consistent temp. I’m closed the top and bottom vent fully because I couldn’t stop the temp from rising and I noticed smoke still escaping from the top. Did anyone find it different using the classic 2 from the original?

Sorry I can't answer your question there kb. I've never used the cast iron vent top of the Classic, just the aluminum one for the Classic II. I do like it but can't compare.

Since you're new I'll make a dangerous assumption that you may be expecting results too fast. Temperature changes in the KJ, especially from hot to colder, take a long time. Once that ceramic heats up it takes a long time to cool.

When seeking a temp the way to do it is slowly and sneak up on it. This can take an hour to do! It's very much a beverage and patience sort of activity. Besides you want your charcoal fully engaged so that you don't get a strong charcoal flavor anyway....

Does that make sense?

So, I only have the classic...but honestly, I'm guessing that the newer aluminum top probably makes it a little easier to dial in specific temps. That said I'd echo CW above that you shouldn't expect wide swings up and down (especially down). Gradually get up to temp and then expect to stay there awhile. Thats one of the nice things about a kamado. Even in a blizzard, when she's up to temp, she's gonna stay there.

Remember that the fire downstairs is really controlled by both vents (air flow) opened about the same amount, while cooling essentially is just letting the heat escape out the top, while keeping the bottom vent closed....or almost closed.

Reactions: Colin1230
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky