Kabanosy this time....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
It's been some time since last time I made Kabanosy... so, having pork butt on sale for $.99 I had no problems with it....
Unfortunately, I didn't make any picks during the preparation process (my bad) but I got a couple with finished product. So.....
Two pork butts were deboned, and cut in approximately 0.7 - 0.8" cubes. Lean portion of butts was separated from fatty meat and fat was separated as well.... Total 3600 g of lean meat, 2400 g of fatty meat and 1200 g of fat. I calculated amount of salt and Cure 1 for each portion of meat, mixed it in and moved all meats into the fridge for 60 hours to cure. After 60 hours of cure I mixed in all spices (per recipe) first - to destitute spices more evenly and then placed all meats in the freezer for one hour. In one hour I grinded lean pork with 10 mm plate and fatty meat with 6 mm plate. I decided to not use port fat at all as fatty portion of meat had enough fat in it. Stuffed in 19mm collagen casing, let stuffed sausages to dry at room temp for45 minutes and in the smoker (without smoke just yet) at 135F for one hour. I was increasing temperature for 10 degrees every one hour till 165F. At 165F I hold my sausage in the smoker for one and a half hour and then I loser temp back to 155f for one more hour. Smoke was introduced at 155F for two hours.... When Kabanosy were ready I let them cool in my garage and then placed then in the fridge to dry a little overnight... Next day I vac pack them them... I used recipe from Stanley Marianski book but I twisted it a little with the amount of spices.
This is my to go recipe now....
IMG_3590.jpg
IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

Thank you for

Nice work bud . That's the formula I use too , except I go with step 8 in the directions and hang in my basement after smoking , for 7 days @ 60 degrees .
Those look great .

Reactions: pushok2018
Nice work bud . That's the formula I use too , except I go with step 8 in the directions and hang in my basement after smoking , for 7 days @ 60 degrees .
Those look great .
Thank you, chopsaw! I am with you on that step but I just felt that my Kabanosy are dry enough and didn't want to over dry them. Remember, I used 19mm casing instead of 24-26mm... They dried out in smoker sooner and didn't need any extra drying time.... Next time I'll use 24-26 casing.... Thank you for you like!

Thank you! I just tried to Google if this type of Polish sausage has any relations with any of German style of sausage and couldn't get any result on that.... Maybe someone on this forum know more then Google does! :emoji_laughing:
Thank you for the like!

Marianski lists Cabanossi - German and Cabanossi - Austrian . Page 96 / 97 of his German Sausages book . Also on meats and sausages in the cooked , ready to eat section .

I need to try these! Not huge crinkle fan but that is the perfect amount for me. 10/10.

Marianski lists Cabanossi - German and Cabanossi - Austrian . Page 96 / 97 of his German Sausages book . Also on meats and sausages in the cooked , ready to eat section .
Thanks. LOL I notice Marianski gets a few things misspelled or off a little. Heads up was gifted some chorizo SS and they are killer. I remember you were thinking about trying it. Do it!

Marianski lists Cabanossi - German and Cabanossi - Austrian . Page 96 / 97 of his German Sausages book . Also on meats and sausages in the cooked , ready to eat section
Ah.... I mised that because I was searching Kabanosy and not Cabanossi... First letters K & C.... Thanks, chopsaw!

POK2018,Those are some fine looking Kabs ! I like the same recipe .
Thank you, crazymoon! By whatever reason I was using recopies for Kabanosy posted on forums. Not saying that those are bad recipes (not at all) but they are not exactly to my taste.... When fist time I made Kabanosy using Marianski recipe - I liked it much better. Then I had to adjust it a bit to my liking and now this is my recipe to keep. Thank you for the like!

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky