K-Rigg pressure smoker, thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erikjacobson87

Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
Oshkosh, WI
So, I saw this ad on good ol' Facebook about the K-Rigg pressure smoker, that states it can create smoked foods in minutes versus hours. Ie. ribs in 30min, pork butt in 1hr 30min, and brisket in 2hrs.

Apparently it uses a gas motor to create the pressure and just a handful of chips for smoke.

What do you think about this? Would the product be the same? Would you get the same tenderness and smoke flavor? I would be curious to see the results.

Here is a link to the website. https://www.k-rigg.com

My first reaction is purely dejection from the traditional idea of low and slow...
Who knows maybe it will be revolutionary...

Ehhh what? According to the website:
"The inner chamber is designed to cook around 10 psi" Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 PSI so it's actually a slight vacuum? Sorry, if they're promoting something hi-tech and can't get their info right, no thanks.

Reactions: jcam222
Not exactly. The atmospheric or absolute psi (psia) referred to is not the same as the 'guage' psi (psig). The 10 psi mentioned in the specs I believe is in ref to psig, egro an adder. PSI? aside, still not sold on the pressure smoker concept.
Guess I'm just ol' school :(

Infographic%20-%20PSI%20v6-2.png

Last edited:
I would be skeptical myself. So I get that pressure cooking can reduce the cook time. But my understanding is that the smoke flavoring comes about by prolonged exposure to the smoke. Reducing the cook time reduces the exposure to the smoke. You can't "push" the smoke into the meat any faster.

Anyway, that's skeptical smoker dude talking today.

Smoke is only absorbed for the first 20 minutes after that you’re not absorbing smoke as you would think

• Sad
Reactions: h8that4u
Smoke is only absorbed for the first 20 minutes after that you’re not absorbing smoke as you would think

That is not correct smoke will be absorbed as long as smoke is applied the smoke ring will stop forming at if I remember correctly 140 degrees

Sorry, one of my tics:

It's Gauge, not guage. I dunno how many times I saw "Guage Hatch" stencil painted at gauge hatches on petroleum barge tanks while was working my way through school in the 80's

Tic Tic Tic

That is not correct smoke will be absorbed as long as smoke is applied the smoke ring will stop forming at if I remember correctly 140 degrees

You are correct Sir. If there was No significant additional smoke flavor accumulating beyond the first 20 minutes...Every recipe or set of Smoking Instructions would read..." Smoke meat at 225°F for 20 minutes and finish the cook, to the desired IT, in your Oven.
😁" Somebody should let Mr. Franklin know he's been wasting time and wood Smoking them Briskets longer than 20 minutes.😜🎃...JJ

Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky