Just want to say " Hello"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shoneyboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 3, 2010
Denham Springs La

Maybe this is too much information, but it was recommended that I check in and tell everyone a little about myself.....I'm 37 married with 2 kids, my son Shawn is 16 and a daughter Brittney is 12. I work for a company in S. Louisiana, but I’m a Sheet Metal fabricator at heart. I have a small business/shop that I run part time; basically it’s an as needed type of business. I have a full time job, but if some one call and has something that they need in a hurry I’m always willing to help them and make a few $$$. About 3 years ago, for Christmas, I was the proud recipient of a Cabela’s 1hp meat grinder from my family and friends. Since then I have spent hundreds of hours grinding meat, either with my kids or by myself. Two years ago for Christmas, my son helped me build our smoke house. It’s about 2ft x 2ft x 4ft with 2ft legs that make it stand at 6ft tall (see pictures) and made form 16 gage black iron. We cheated a little, but to help control the heat we used an old fish frying burner to help regulate the heat. I use a stainless steel pan for wood chips (the wife donated, she just don’t know about it) . Due to some of the volunteer (cooking for my son’s school and family we have cooked for anywhere from 50-200 people sometimes) work that we (wife, kids and myself) I have picked up and made many other things that help out meat processing over the years pans, bowl, pots, spoons, ect., but with all that I have. I really enjoy the simple things, my grinder, 10lbs of meat, some seasonings and a few feet of casings…..several hours of time = some good time with the family. There is a running joke in the house that after anything comes off the smoker you have to keep it away from Shawn, he’s been know to eat his weight in smoked meats on more that one occasion….LOL, But all in all I have to say that I have had some great times with the kids grinding, smoking meats and trying new recipes. Theirs been many sausages made that we will never forget.  Since we built the smoker we have spent more time playing with different ideals and ways of cooking different meats, fish and vegetables with it.....and as a father, I have enjoyed ever minute of it. Lastly, I would like to tell each and every one of you “HELLO” and hope to have the chance to bounce some ideals and recipes off some of you. I have to say that this is one of the coolest sites that I have found. Thanks  

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. There's a bunch of people here that make sausage. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome!  I'd love to pick your brain on the sausage-making.  That's the one thing my buddies and I have yet to master, particularly with venison sausages.

Thanks for the introduction, and welcome to the SMF. I think you'll find plenty of great reading and tips here. It's all good my friend.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a great start and kudos for geting the family involved! Im sure you will have some great recipes and some awesome Qview.

Hello from Slidell.

I noticed your posts in the Southeast Louisiana Gathering thread.  I was going to say hello there but glad you posted in the new member forum.   The event was held at my place near Thomas LA.  In addition to a small offset I have a cold smoke house that I use to make bacon and cold smoked sausages and cheese.   If you ever want to give bacon a shot you are welcome to make use of the cold smoke, I have plenty of pecan.

Just a friendly reminder, bold print means you are yelling and is hard to read.  Make it easier on my old, sun burned eyes and use a normal font.  Thanks

Keep in touch, there are a couple of us in the area that post to this forum regularly.  We are always trying to get together for an afternoon smoke.  

Al

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Shoney to SMF. It sounds like you will fit right in here amonges us here.  I'm one of those sausage makers that Jerry (pineywoods) is talking about. I really enjoy making good sausage and have a bunch of really good recipes too. Now you need to hang out with in the chat to for there are alot of us that hang out there too. and talk all kinds of good things. Now I have also gained alot of good recipes for sausage there as well. I would like to  see what you have been making to.  You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So I'll be seeing you later then. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction        

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky