Just starting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alb28

Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Mesa, Arizona
Hi, Just purchased a Master Forge Gas smoker today from Lowes.

I bought this smoker based on reviews here and at Lowes. I know it's weakness on leaking smoke from the doors and the thermometer.

But with the help here I went out and purchased a couple of gasket kits at amazon (Rutland gasket kit rope 7'x3/8)' and a Thermometer (Maverick Remote Smoker Dual Probe Wireless Thermometer ET-73). This should give me decent basic smoker for a beginner.

I joined this site because of the posts I have read, everyone seems supportive that each member has a good experience in their  smoking adventures.

Al 

Al, welcome. There are many friendly folks here and great information. You will probably find this your second home.

Enjoy the long smokey ride..............Dave

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview. 
icon14.gif

Thanks!

I have done some slow cooking in the crock pot,  but it is time to take it up a notch or 2.

My goal is to gain some experience now to achieve my goal of a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving.  I expect some forum activity as we closer to the man day in November.

If any one has any advice let me know.

What kind of meat should I start out with? I want to start off with something easy to build some confidence.

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. I would suggest also signing up for Jeff's 5 Day Ecourse it has some great info and is free. As for what to start with a pork butt is a very forgiving smoke but a long one chicken is quick and easy or do a combo smoke and make a day of it with stuff coming off all through the day

Welcome to the SMF.....all good advice above. I run the same unit & did the door mods as well. Works very well for the price IMHO. Chicken is a great starter as is a turkey and both are inexpensive. Saw frozen turkeys the other day...still at 98 cents a pound, excellent price for a terrific smoke experience. If you do a turkey keep it around 12 pounds max and if you can, do the slaughterhouse brine. You're pals will be amazed with your new skills....

Thanks, Chef Willie,

I was thinking the same thing as you. I figured that a chicken might be the first thing to try because of the price. Also right now pork back ribs are kinda cheap because the stores have a temporary surplus of  these ribs. So I will be searching here for a Chicken & Rib recipe.

Also the turkey in my future will be a breast on the bone type. So it will be around 7-8lbs.

Has anyone ever calibrated a Master Forge temperature gauge? I have heard that these ar very inaccurate. I finished assembling the unit today and will season it Saturday. Without the extras I ordered from Amazon I bought a oven temperature gauge from Lowes and already have a meat thermometer. Those will be the tools I will be using on this first attempt.

I got to admit that I'm getting a little excited.

Al

You really need a couple of wired probes.  Those stock therms are notoriously innacurate.  Keep at it and keep spending your toy budget.  You will get there.

Good luck and good smoking.

WELCOME !! I'm a newbie too .. I agree-- sign up for the 5 day free course and it can only help your 'game'. My first test spin on my new pit was with chicken ( as mentioned on day 1 of the course) and I'm glad it was.. too smokie for my wife .. but we ate the 'mistake' anyways !!

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Many of our members have years of experience in smoking meat.  They are more than happy helping Newbies learn the art.

We have members who cure there own Bacon, Hams, Jerky, Snack Sticks, Make Their own Sausage, etc. if you want to learn,
this is the place. 

Don't be afraid to ask questions of them and follow their advice. You won't be sorry, you will be making great Q in no time at all...

Just remember, when curing your own meats follow the instructions included with the cure to the letter, this is not something to experiment with.  

Never use more cure no mater if it is Tender Quick or Cure #1 or Cure #2 than the manufacturer says to use, this can be very dangerous.

Tender Quick and Cure#1 or Cure #2 are not interchangeable, neither Cure #1 interchangeable with Cure #2 or vise versa

Tips For New Members.
  1. Go into your profile and Under Location put where you are.
  2. City & State or Area & State will do. This will help members when answering your questions.
  3. Go to ROLL CALL thread and tell us a little about Yourself (A Name We Can Call You) and Experience & Equipment.
  4. Do Not Post  your other questions and smokes in the Roll Call Forum.
  5. Post your questions and smokes in the Proper Forum, Beef, Pork, Sausage, Electric Smoker, Charcoal Smoker etc.
  6. Use the Wiki Section, many of our members have posted great tutorials and instructional threads so take advantage of them.
  7. When you can't find an answer ask plenty of questions, we have some highly experienced members willing to help you.
  8. When posting about your smokes be sure to post plenty of Qview (Pictures) Our Moto, "No Pics, Didn't Happen".
  9. Get a good Probe Thermometer, Don't Depend on the Built in Thermometer in your Smoker (They are notorious for being off).
  10. A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732
  11. Remember, We Always Cook by Temperature and NOT BY TIME...
  12. Don't Take Chances, Always Follow USDA Safety Guidelines When Handling Meat.

13. If you are wanting to get into curing meat, there are many members here more than happy to help and give good advice.

14. If you are unsure of a procedure ASK, don't ASSUME, It will make your Smoking experience much more pleasant...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky