Just got my first offset ordered

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryan johnson

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Hi guys, 

I've been lurking around here on and off for the past couple years.  I have owned a green mountain pellet grill for nearly 4 years and I absolutely love my pellet grill.  Have produced a ton of good meat on the pellet grill.  However, it is now time to step my game up a notch.  I just purchased an oklahoma joe highland offset smoker. I want to learn to get proficient at using a stick burner.  I am really looking forward to the challenge of using one.  

Welcome aboard the SMF Ryan! You can check into Roll Call and post up about yourself. Sounds like you have some experience under your belt. Congrats on getting a new rig. There's a ton of info here and everyone is always willing to help. Post up whenever you can and always include some Q-view (pics) as a picture tells a thousand words..

-Pit

Ryan, I see that you've been around here for 4 years, so you've had a good beginning. Go to the smoker section and look up your particular model. You will get to read a wealth of stuff. Season your smoker, find something easy ( chicken ) and inexpensive to smoke and go for it.

Have a great time and a lot of practice. Remember, you can always eat your mistakes. Keep a log of your efforts and when you have a specific question or two, just ask.

Good luck and good smokin', Joe. :grilling_smilie:

Just got an offset this spring and haven't had gas hooked up to the MB yet! Quite a learning curve, but you're going to love it!
Thumbs Up

The smoker is being shipped yet so I have not received it yet,  I am in eager anticipation of getting my new toy!  Cannot wait to get this thing in acton and start using it!  Hopefully it will be here by next week.  

Finally got the smoker, had some issues with Walmart.  Man they are horrible to work with.  When I received their shipment the smoker was all damaged, dented and scratched, box was crushed and in terrible condition.  I was not paying top dollar for a piece of junk!  Then they didn't want to refund my money since it was a special order.  What Baloney! I had to chew a lot of tail with their store manager and finally I got my refund!  Since they were jerks I did not reorder it from them.

After that episode..... i reordered it from Lowe's and I received my smoker in excellent condition without any issues. It took another week to have it shipped, but it is worth it.   I assembled it last night and sealed the area between firebox and the pit with high temp RTV.  I also put a good bead of rtv between the top and bottom halves of the firebox.  I also sealed the area around where the chimney attaches to the inside of the pit.

I'm going to let the RTV setup for a couple days as I will not have time to play with the smoker until this weekend...(The job thing takes up too much of my time during the weekdays.) I will be seasoning the smoker on saturday morning for a couple hours.  Then I think my plan is to smoke a couple whole chickens to get the feel for the temp control and the grate temps.  I don't want to run an expensive cut of meat for the first smoke.  And I really cannot mess up whole chickens too bad.

Last edited:
nice congrats  i have one of those  its a  pretty good cooker when  you make  a few of the slight mods to it to help seal it up  have fun 
icon14.gif

I was able to sneak out of work early today so I got the new smoker seasoned tonight  I greased the inside down with crisco and lit a fire in it for about 2 hrs tonight.  I just ran nice dry oak through the fire box tonight.  let it get nice and warm and i even got to play around with the door damper.  It is definitely going to take me a bit to get the heat control thing down as  I had some fluctuation in temps.  I also noticed that I definitely will need a gasket to seal up the door.  It is leaking a lot of smoke along the top edge of the doors in both the cook chamber and in fire box as well.  I think it is all ready to play with this weekend though.  Cannot wait to try my first cook on it this weekend!

Reactions: cksteele
Don't get too radical about sealing doors until you've played with it a little :-)
The temp control is part of the game...
Welcome to stick burning.

Dan

What Dan said.... Get your smoker good and hot a couple of times and a lot of the smoke leaks will set. Then if you can't live with it you can get some gaskets. Don't forget a stick burner needs a good air supply to work properly. Besides, if your neighbors can't see the smoke and invite themselves over to eat, you'll have left overs to freeze.....what a shame.

Good luck and good smokin', Joe. :grilling_smilie:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky