Just got my 1st smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doc bull

Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Jacksonville, NC
I am a doc stationed in Jacksonville NC and i am the happy owner of a new chargriller duo with the firebox. Seasoned her today, and will attempt my 1st smoke on Friday. I have read some threads suggesting I turn over the pan in the smoke chamber. I have also enrolled in the 5 day smoking email course. I do have some questions.

1. How do I seal it so no smoke leaks out between the lid and the body?

2. I plan to use cowboy lump charcoal to keep heat steady, but how often/how much should I use of wood chips. I have mesquite, hickory, and Apple to see which I like the best, but the bags are small. Also, do I need to do anything to the chips or just toss them in the fire box?

3. Any suggestions for my first meat to smoke/recipes?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Doc!

If you have leaks it's really not that big of a deal as many think it is.......If it were me and I was going to use charcoal I would use chunks rather than chips.... Chips burn out too quick,

Now that I have said that if you would like any tips about using your offset or recipes feel free to drop me a line.

Hop

Tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the quick reply. As far as getting the flavored smoke, ie...hickory, mesquite, etc... How do I actually get it to smoke and still maintain heat? Thanks again Hop

Welcome Doc.

There is a ton of information on sealing your new cooker.  Use the search button at the top of the page.  I promise there are more posts on the subject than you'll want to read. 

I vote for pork butt as a first smoke!

welcome again!

Brian

Reactions: doc bull
[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky