Just got my 1st smoker

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by doc bull, Jan 1, 2014.

1. I am a doc stationed in Jacksonville NC and i am the happy owner of a new chargriller duo with the firebox. Seasoned her today, and will attempt my 1st smoke on Friday. I have read some threads suggesting I turn over the pan in the smoke chamber. I have also enrolled in the 5 day smoking email course. I do have some questions.

1. How do I seal it so no smoke leaks out between the lid and the body?

2. I plan to use cowboy lump charcoal to keep heat steady, but how often/how much should I use of wood chips. I have mesquite, hickory, and Apple to see which I like the best, but the bags are small. Also, do I need to do anything to the chips or just toss them in the fire box?

3. Any suggestions for my first meat to smoke/recipes?

Thanks in advance!

2. hopmeister

hopmeister Fire Starter

Hi Doc!

If you have leaks it's really not that big of a deal as many think it is.......If it were me and I was going to use charcoal I would use chunks rather than chips.... Chips burn out too quick,

Now that I have said that if you would like any tips about using your offset or recipes feel free to drop me a line.

Hop

3. Tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the quick reply. As far as getting the flavored smoke, ie...hickory, mesquite, etc... How do I actually get it to smoke and still maintain heat? Thanks again Hop

4. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome Doc.

There is a ton of information on sealing your new cooker.  Use the search button at the top of the page.  I promise there are more posts on the subject than you'll want to read. 

I vote for pork butt as a first smoke!

welcome again!

Brian

doc bull likes this.
  5. [​IMG]Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   

Gary

6. Thanks Gary

7. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to the forum from Kent Island Md