just a question for everyone , with salmon candy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dan the mano

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 22, 2017
hey everyone , i am gonna be smoking some salmon candy here later , but my question here is :
the way to store it with out losing some of its flavor.

i have done this vacuum packaging ,, and although it looked good , it took away some flavor from the fish . yes it was packaged tight , and it also made the packed fish when thawed out stiff .. however maybe that is what happened.

now then what i used to go and do was just package in a Ziploc bag and try to take out as much air as i could. doing it this way was a lot better tasting then the previous . and yes they were kept in a freezer and for about the same amount of time too.

i thank you for your advice

Dan,
Mine never lasted long enough to freeze it. LOL!

My guess would be you answered your own question.
You found your preferred method. You just need to utilize it again.

Reactions: dan the mano
I would wrap in parchment paper before vacuum sealing. I may be crazy, but I dont like the flavor I get when the salmon fat is in contact with plastic.

salmon20180816.jpg
when i used the food saver to vacuum seal the fresh wild sockeye i did yesterday on my new GMG davy crockett, i noticed that the pressure of the suction pump pulled some liquid (presumably tasty fat) out of the warm salmon. since it's my first smoked salmon, i can't say i have anything to compare it to. however, next time i make it, i'm going to chill it in the 'fridge to solidify it before vacuum sealing. that'd make it unlikely to let the pressure squeeze out any good juiciness.

View attachment 373925 when i used the food saver to vacuum seal the fresh wild sockeye i did yesterday on my new GMG davy crockett, i noticed that the pressure of the suction pump pulled some liquid (presumably tasty fat) out of the warm salmon. since it's my first smoked salmon, i can't say i have anything to compare it to. however, next time i make it, i'm going to chill it in the 'fridge to solidify it before vacuum sealing. that'd make it unlikely to let the pressure squeeze out any good juiciness.
thank
good thinking!! I do that with stuff for sous vide sometimes. In this case, though, I left it in the fridge since it will all get eaten in a few days. Besides,I've never frozen smoked salmon, so I don't know how that comes out.

thank you for this reply ,. ill have to go and do this next time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky