JULY 5th BRISKET (Better Late Than Never)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like a perfect smoke!  I do have a question about the salt/pepper rub.  What kind of pepper do you use?  Finely ground, or course?

Gary

I don't want to hijack the thread... But you brought the subject on your first post. 

You wrap in butcher paper. Many experienced brisket boys do.  I've always used foil... Just learned to do it that way many many ( did I say many?) years ago.

What is the advantage of butcher paper over foil?  My guess the aluminum wrap makes a better "crutch" because it seals tighter. But the butcher paper my allow more smoke. 

Inquiring minds want to know. b

Gary
I don't want to hijack the thread... But you brought the subject on your first post. 

You wrap in butcher paper. Many experienced brisket boys do.  I've always used foil... Just learned to do it that way many many ( did I say many?) years ago.

What is the advantage of butcher paper over foil?  My guess the aluminum wrap makes a better "crutch" because it seals tighter. But the butcher paper my allow more smoke. 

Inquiring minds want to know. b
And I second that question. I've always used foil....it's what my grandpa used. But I'm intersted in butcher paper.

Gary that is a really great looking brisket!
On the beans, did you pre cook them before you put in smoker?

I used Foil for years, then about 4 -5 years ago a friend of mine told me to try butcher paper, Been using it ever since.

Foil seals the meat and steams it causing it to cook faster, which can really be a plus sometimes.

Butcher paper hold in some moisture, but not like foil. I find I maintain a better bark, and it is still plenty moist and juicy.

I would say give it a try and see what you think. I've got friends that swear by each.

Beans; sometimes I'll cook them a while before I put them on the smoker, since that was such a small batch I put them straight on the smoker then about an hour in the over

Gary

Reactions: bdskelly

I used Foil for years, then about 4 -5 years ago a friend of mine told me to try butcher paper, Been using it ever since.

Foil seals the meat and steams it causing it to cook faster, which can really be a plus sometimes.

Butcher paper hold in some moisture, but not like foil. I find I maintain a better bark, and it is still plenty moist and juicy.

I would say give it a try and see what you think. I've got friends that swear by each.

Beans; sometimes I'll cook them a while before I put them on the smoker, since that was such a small batch I put them straight on the smoker then about an hour in the over

Gary
Thank you  And I will. b

points.gif

I will give it a try when my smoker is finished. I'm finally able to work on it!!!
I want to try the beans too.
Were they pento or baked beans?

I will give it a try when my smoker is finished. I'm finally able to work on it!!!
I want to try the beans too.
Were they pento or baked beans?
Pork & Beans

Just a heads up for those wanting to use butcher paper, it isn't as easy to find as I expected.  Tried the local grocery stores and they don't sell it, ended up asking the guys at the meat counter and they gave me some of theirs.  Its not the best as it has one side slick. I searched and it seems some folks have been ordering it online but it is expensive because it comes in a huge roll, and the shipping is as much as the paper.  Accounts I've read are $60-70 a roll.  It would be nice to find a "trial" size just to see how it works out.  Gary where did you get yours?

Last edited:

Just a heads up for those wanting to use butcher paper, it isn't as easy to find as I expected.  Tried the local grocery stores and they don't sell it, ended up asking the guys at the meat counter and they gave me some of theirs.  Its not the best as it has one side slick. I searched and it seems some folks have been ordering it online but it is expensive because it comes in a huge roll, and the shipping is as much as the paper.  Accounts I've read are $60-70 a roll.  It would be nice to find a "trial" size just to see how it works out.  Gary where did you get yours?
Parchment paper works too and can be found in most grocery stores on the baking aisle.

You're right Dirtsailor, they do have parchment paper, actually lots of it.  Thought about trying it but wasn't sure how it would do.  And the price I mentioned of $60 plus does include the shipping, actual paper is around $35 a roll best I can tell.  

icon_mrgreen.gif

You're right Dirtsailor, they do have parchment paper, actually lots of it.  Thought about trying it but wasn't sure how it would do.  And the price I mentioned of $60 plus does include the shipping, actual paper is around $35 a roll best I can tell.  
:icon_mrgreen:

Parchment paper does great, that's what parchment paper is for, cooking in the oven, or smoker or Dutch oven...

Sorry   -  My bad    I used Parchment paper I got at Sam's      Butcher Paper is coated on one side, When I use it I put the coated side out.

0007874203812_A

That's actually very encouraging, parchment paper is easy to get and comes in small sizes.  I'll try it next time.  Thanks JP for letting me know where you found butcher paper, I'll have a friend who has a membership stop in there.

Last edited:
I think I paid Five dollars and some change for that at Sam's.

Gary

Late to the party, but that's a nice looking brisket you have there!!! I'm trying to wait a bit longer to do one ($$$) but I keep seeing these awesome pictures and it's killing me!!!

See if you can find some inexpensive ones to practice on (I know, not easy to do now days).  For me I had quite a few casualties before I cooked one I was able to serve to my family without apologizing for.  And several more before I was willing for anyone else to try it.  Now I'm thinking about springing for one of the Prime briskets to see if it really is better.

Last edited:
It's about time for another Brisket.  but first a Prime Rib 

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky