judging

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joed617

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 13, 2006
North East
Hi folks .. I been honored to judge in a bbq in Mashpee MA. next weekend .. Things have been hectic for me as some of you know. I'm kinda shocked that I would be asked .. what do I know :) Anyway .. just keeping you all posted because I haven't been Q'ing for a few weeks and looks like this weekend I'm going to do some pulled pork and ribs .. So it will be a relaxing weekend..

Joe

Dutch, My mind is marshmello I thought I placed this in general discussion. .. could you move this?

THanks

Joe

Joe that's quite an honor to be a judge bro...........not only that but your in for some good eatin. The only thing ya gotta remember is don't eat to much to fast. 8) We cook low and slow, now ya gotta eat slow on the go :D

Need a little help on the tasting end, Joe? I could be there in a few hours! All kidding aside, I join gypc in congratulating you for being asked to be a judge!

Cheers!

Hiya Gypc and Mr Monty,
Should prove to be interesting .. it's going to be next weekend in Mashpee MA .. I'll try not to make a pig og myself .. :) It's also a business trip.. they have a smoker thier I want to check out .. it's a demo and was offered to me at a lower cost .. I'll take my time and enjoy the Q.

Joe

Joe, congrats on the honors of being asked to judge. You know Que, so it's going to be kind of hard not to compare it to what you do or would do. Keep in mind these four things-

1, Does it look good?

2, Does it taste good?

3, How was the presentation?

and importantly,

4, Would you eat it again?

Since your going on a business trip, remember that food and lodging is a business expense and is tax deductible. Of course what you do with your "down" time you'll have to clear with the Boss, er um, I mean the wife if she isn't going with you. :mrgreen:

Hi Dutch, We been busy. Been going out to eat alot lately to size up the other bbq joints in the area, seeing what they have to offer and you are right, It's all tax deductable.. can ya beat that.. going out for Q and deducting it from your tax bill at the end of the year. :) It will be an experience judging.. thanks for the tips .. To be honest.. I enjoy eating more at home than going out. But I do enjoy being waited on:)

Joe

Hi folks, The weekend is over and not only was I judging but the wife as well .. It was a KCBS sactioned 3rd annual event on Cape Cod. We met alot of nice folks. The event was closed to the public so thier wasn't many people wondering around. I would have reported this lastnight but I was way too full of BBQ.. <I did take small bites to get a good taste but still was way too stuffed> Started out with chicken, ribs, pork, brisket and then fish. 6 entree's in each catagory.. and I tasted it all.. The wife was at a differnt table judging <spouces, and family members or coulpes couldn't judge at the same table. It was an experience, If you ever get a chance to be a judge at one of these events I recommed you do so. I got to try alot of BBQ, some good, some not so good and you get to some cool folks who are seriously into Q'ing..

PS: Dutch the score card was 1 thru 9 and you start them out at a 6 then you either go up or down. It went on apperance, taste and tenderness.. We didn't stick around for the awards, it was raining in the afternoon and very chilly..

Joe

Sounds like great experience Joe. If nothing else I think it would cool to get to check out all the different styles and variations turned in.

Hey Chad, It was a cool experience.. I drank lots of water and ate lots of saltines inbetween the tasting .. Lots of differnt taste and textures .. some I liked .. some I didn't .. but it was fun.. I'd do it again .. :)

Joe

Hey, Joe!
Real happy to hear that you and the missus had a great time judging the Q! Someday soon folks will be judging your talents on a regular basis!

Cheers!

Hi Monty, Hope you are well, been busy here.. we put an offer in to buy the business and will be at the brokers tomorrow evening hammering out the deal. The BBQ judging went well... it was sactioned by the KCBS and we met some nice folks... I have a box of bbq leftover from judging .. It was an experience ... <the missus said my Q is better> but, I expect that from her.. we'll be going over numbers again tonight and again and again .. crunching away ... and more crunching .. I'll keep ya posted..

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky