Jerky - weather permitting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
After returning from two months enjoying our new granddaughter, we smoked and reversed-seared a ribeye and that was pretty good. Then it snowed and buried access to the smoker. It thawed finally, then rained. Forever.

Umbrella in hand and galoshes mounted, it was time for some fresh jerky. I use a savory-bourbon marinade recipe and hickory. It has a nice, balanced heat.

0CF93E06-220A-4D46-BC3C-9AD428212014.jpeg

I like to add some smoked cheese and spicy pepperoni to make trail mix. Kitchen shears work really well cutting up the ingredients.

47E1719D-BD77-447B-925D-B36906A73E48.jpeg

The neighbors I share the jerky, trail mix, and cheese with, really like it. Sooo good with a cold beer!

The trail mix is easy - no recipe!

I use the jerky I make, whatever smoked cheeses I made, usually cheddar, Gouda, pepperjack, and spicy pepperoni from the butcher’s shop. I dice up the cheese and use kitchen shears for the rest. I put one cup in a vacuum bag and seal it up. It really begins to taste best after it has been sealed for a few days. The flavors seem to meld and get richer.

Its my favorite snack when I finish the day working on the sailboat and visit the Olympia Taproom for a cold beer!

If you make jerky and smoked cheese, it’s a no brainer. If you share, it’s a easy way to make friends too.

Reactions: JLeonard
I’m curious about the savory-bourbon marinade recipe. I just bought some top round for jerky making yesterday.
My wife is not a bourbon person. Is the jerky “bourbon forward”?

I’m curious about the savory-bourbon marinade recipe. I just bought some top round for jerky making yesterday.
My wife is not a bourbon person. Is the jerky “bourbon forward”?
No, it does add an earthy flavor. It would probably work without. Most people may not be able to tell it is an ingredient.

Not quite, but that recipe looks worth trying. Give me a couple of days to get back home and I’ll be happy to share mine with you. I’m no chef. I kept playing with it in small amounts, with Mrs. Smoke taste testing, until we felt we got it right. I felt it was still missing something when during one batch I substituted apple juice for the water I was using to thin it out a bit. Bingo! The only ingredient not commonly found is the Flatiron four pepper blend which you can get off of Amazon or order directly. It is worth always having it around.

Where in Oregon are you located?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky