Jerky--Smoker or Dehydrator? Which is better?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have yet to smoke then put in the dehydrator. Definitely on my list to do the next batch of so. My only problem is between my son and I, it goes too fast....
LOL, when my son asks for some, he always needs to be told the difference between "some" and "all".

Reactions: Bytor
I do both beef and salmon jerky via the method I mentioned above. Our fishing buddies love it.

Last edited:
I've read the debates in other threads about whether or not to cook the jerky before dehydrating. The manual that came with mine said to cook if the jerky is not going to be refrigerated, so that's what I did, but it still didn't seem right somehow. Just threw it marinade and all into a pot with a lidand stewed for a few minutes to get the temp up to 160. Then started the batch.
I used an 6.5 lb eye of round that was still partially frozen when I sliced it into about 3/16" slices, and used a Jaccard on them. Probably 5.5 lbs after trimming.
20220430_163231.jpg
20220430_155840.jpg

They ended up using less than 4-1/2 racks of the 10-rack dehydrator. Seemed like a lot more when I started out. A little less than 3 hours in the dehydrator seemed sufficient. Still has some good chew, but not brittle.
20220501_153440.jpg

Reactions: bdawg and zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky