Jerky on the Weber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
I have been experimenting with different recipes and smoking methods to make my jerky.
Here is one method to increase product smoking area to over 1000 sq inches without hanging jerky , on a modified Weber kettle smoker.
Very simple mod if you have an old Weber and an electric El Cheapo Masterbuilt. ECM.. I also have used a charcoal ECB . El Cheapo Brinkmann.
Here you won't see that under the bottom rack is my probe for watching the temp. It is resting on the charcoal grate below inside the kettle.
No need for sealing the body to kettle. There are almost no gaps at all. No smoke leakage.
IMG_20180428_113130.jpg
IMG_20180428_113733.jpg
IMG_20180428_120646.jpg
IMG_20180428_120918.jpg
IMG_20180428_120956.jpg
IMG_20180428_121045.jpg
IMG_20180428_121111.jpg
IMG_20180428_121123.jpg

So yo see the 2 extra 20" pizza grates I'm using. These big pizza grates I bought at a restaurant supply place.
I put some oil on all the grates before loading. The bottom grate has 2 wire loops I added for easy removal.
The top 20" grate rests on the handles of the Weber grate. Pretty goo gap between the racks. No worries there.
The ECM on full blast has been maintaining at 165°-180° with no food in the kettle. Those temps just as I have been tending to the jerky loading inside .

40° outside now and after 1 hour and the jerky in smoking , ....the temp is about 135° and climbing steady just below the bottom rack...
Seems to be a good pace so far as the jerky dries and gets smoke.
AMNPS is smoking with Lumber Jack blend pellets.. hickory and maple, cherry.
I will use smoke for 3 of the approximately 6 hours total cook time.

The inside of the smoker has a pan in the center of the heating element. The pan is used for chips. It is about 2 inches above the elements and I sat a small aluminum foil covered rack on top of the empty pan. The AMNPS sits on that covered rack. So far no problems with flare ups or air flow inside the smoker.
The kettle I have has 3 Weber intake vents on the bottom. These 3 vents allow good smoke flow and heat rises adequately for the jerky temps I like.

1975daisyvent2.jpg

This set up is good for about 6 lbs of jerky lying flat on grates.
I am doing 5.4 lbs now.
The recipe I use to make jerky is basic.
Per 2.5 - 3 lbs of 1/4" sliced eye of round:
1/2 C Worcestershire
1/2 C soy sauce
3 LG. cloves fine minced or crushed garlic
1 TBS onion powder
1/4 C real maple syrup
1 Tbs cracked black pepper
1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp pink cure #1
Brown sugar sprinkling before it goes in the smoker is a good addition. Just a little goes a long way.
This all gets whisked in a bowl for a
couple minutes and sets for a few... Then I whisk it again before pouring onto the jerky strips. I use Rubbermaid containers that hold 1 gallon.. bags are good.. I like to go in and physically mix the strips in the containers however. 4 times I think I mix it up over a 1.5 - 2 day period. Using cure I like to let the jerky go 2 days before drying and smoking.

At 2 hours in Here is the kettle temp below the bottom rack and temp between lower and middle rack.
Bit higher than I want.
15249383221522001587101.jpg

Ideal temp of smoker should give you a rack or grate temp of 150-160
You don't want to cook the jerky.
I will run this lower now.
The smokers that are analog have no temp setting. You need to keep lowering the temp dial manually as the gear and food heat up over time.

Last edited:
That's pretty impressive in that rig!
I usually run my smoker at 145 for jerky, but I'm sure a few degrees difference won't make much difference in the final product.
Can't wait to see how it turns out, but knowing you, I'm sure it will be something special!
I just love the way you rig stuff up & make food as good or better than these guys with the $5000 rigs!
Al

Reactions: Jim Fitzgerald
That's pretty impressive in that rig!
I usually run my smoker at 145 for jerky, but I'm sure a few degrees difference won't make much difference in the final product.
Can't wait to see how it turns out, but knowing you, I'm sure it will be something special!
I just love the way you rig stuff up & make food as good or better than these guys with the $5000 rigs!
Al

I'm running 150s usually.. but you just need to never go above 170 for more than a few minutes. Then your cooking the jerky and you won't get the inside done before it gets crunchy on the outside haha.. it's fun to get it right after a couple fails.

3 hours.. I will flip flop the bottom and top racks in a few.
15249421834811117486380.jpg

Particularly interesting to me Johnny.
Yesterday I retro'd my Brinkman back to charcoal.
I removed the Bradley Smoke Generator, covered the hole with aluminum sheet metal, and removed the electric optional element.
I've been thinking about using it for charcoal and chunks, or chips, just to tried some fire again. (Since I have it...)
My BIL up North is going to get a Traeger for his Outdoor kitchen, and cast off his kettles.
A kettle on the Brinkman can appears very interestink!
Cool idea using the 20" pizza screens.

I'm playing today with my back-step Brinkman. Fired up a few handfuls of ancient charcoals I had in a bucket (After burning off the cobwebs, No chit!.)
And I have a spicy Italian Sausage on the grill as my "sacrificial lamb".
Smoke-On! Weiner, TBS

20180428_131010[1].jpg 20180428_134130[1].jpg
148 PT, 129 IT

Last edited:
Reactions: Rings Я Us
Particularly interesting to me Johnny.
Yesterday I retro'd my Brinkman back to charcoal.
I removed the Bradley Smoke Generator, covered the hole with aluminum sheet metal, and removed the electric optional element.
I've been thinking about using it for charcoal and chunks, or chips, just to tried some fire again. (Since I have it...)
My BIL up North is going to get a Traeger for his Outdoor kitchen, and cast off his kettles.
A kettle on the Brinkman can appears very interestink!
Cool idea using the 20" pizza screens.

I'm playing today with my back-step Brinkman. Fired up a few handfuls of ancient charcoals I had in a bucket (After burning off the cobwebs, No chit!.)
And I have a spicy Italian Sausage on the grill as my "sacrificial lamb".
Smoke-On! Weiner, TBS

View attachment 362062 View attachment 362063
148 PT, 129 IT

Your jerky looks fantastic Johnny!
Course, I knew it would!
Great job!
Al

Good looking jerky. And I like how you frankensteined that smoker!

Johnny Nice job on the Jerky LIKES
Richie

I was thinking if I could show this method that a few people might have the stuff to do it also.. thanks all!

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SonnyE
I was thinking if I could show this method that a few people might have the stuff to do it also.. thanks all!

:cool:

I think it's a great idea for the volume you need to run.
I like ideas that spark the mind, good for new guys/gals, and old cob-webs like me.

My spicy Italian Sausage was sure good. I little under-cooked, but a great smokey taste. Worth more tinkering.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
I think it's a great idea for the volume you need to run.
I like ideas that spark the mind, good for new guys/gals, and old cob-webs like me.

My spicy Italian Sausage was sure good. I little under-cooked, but a great smokey taste. Worth more tinkering.
I buy Italian spicy sausage for making stuff mixed with burger meat.
Did you do a thread about spicy Italian?

I like the ingredients that you used on it as well. Sounds like it turned out great too.

I need to make another batch of Jerky soon. Have 5lbs of top loin in the freezer that's planned for this.

Very impressed with your setup...the jerky looks great!

I like the ingredients that you used on it as well. Sounds like it turned out great too.

I need to make another batch of Jerky soon. Have 5lbs of top loin in the freezer that's planned for this.

RRU, Nice set-up and good looking jerky!

Haha.. thanks all.
Yeah I had just bought some coriander seeds for something , I forgot I toasted up a pinch of those seeds and ground them in a spice grinder.. added a pinch or 2 in each bowl of liquid. Was just a hint of the coriander in the background.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky