Jerky is done

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldFartFarmer

Fire Starter
Original poster
First time cooking in my offset dynaglow smoker,
used a big empty can to "Minion" my charcoal basket, I got temps of 160-170 for 2 hrs,
then i had the charcoal tapered down and got temps of 140-120 for 5 more hours
reloading twice, and used apple chips. it was 34 deg out
OMG came out dry and bendy not brittle, and good, but some of it was wet on the outside?
wondering if i should have smoked it longer?
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG

OFF,Looks good, I sometimes get a wetter jerky from lack of air drying first or sometimes just the brine ingredients. Always tastes great though.

It looks fine to me! You got some good advice if there is a bit of moisture. Are you sure it isn't just rended fat though? Regardless, it gets a big like from me.

Reactions: crazymoon
no, its not rendered fat, i went over it twice,
I did put it in a ziplock and in the fridge, without letting it sit,
I should have put it in a paper bag or wrapped it in paper towels and let it sit
but it was late and i was tired, and wasn't thinking,
the meat choice was 2-angus top-round roasts,
the teriyaki was idea was from Holly2015 in a post i made last week looking for a recipe,
I did over smoke it with apple chips, didn't notice it when it first came out, but its there
today after being in the fridge, but no biggie to me, lesson learned,
im thinking i didn't pat it down dry enough, before putting it in,
it was a very messy job wiping it all with paper towels,
maybe next time ill try a cold water rinse? then paper towels?
its jerky, i made it, ill eat it,,LOL

Great looking jerky you have there. Great job. Looks fantastic to me. Congrats on the carousel ride as well. Big LIKE..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky