Jerk pork tenderloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brewandque

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
Hello all

A couple weeks ago I smoked my first pork tenderloin. A 2.5 pound piece that I brined in a mixture of water, salt and honey. It turned out fantastic. Fast forward to this weekend and I have a 4.5 pound tenderloin that I would like to try jerk pork with. My question is should I still brine prior to applying the jerk marinade?

I feel like I should since the brine will impart more moisture than flavor while the marinade has the opposite effect. My thinking was to brine overnight then apply the marinade in the morning for a few hours prior to putting it on the pit.

Appreciate any input.
Thanks

Hello all

A couple weeks ago I smoked my first pork tenderloin. A 2.5 pound piece that I brined in a mixture of water, salt and honey. It turned out fantastic. Fast forward to this weekend and I have a 4.5 pound tenderloin that I would like to try jerk pork with. My question is should I still brine prior to applying the jerk marinade?

I feel like I should since the brine will impart more moisture than flavor while the marinade has the opposite effect. My thinking was to brine overnight then apply the marinade in the morning for a few hours prior to putting it on the pit.

Appreciate any input.
Thanks

Yes.. Brine it then season it! Take pictures and don't forget to post them!

For sure, brine it first in a H2o, sugar, and salt brine toss in any fresh spices or stems, garlic and pepper pieces that you have leftover from making up your jerk seasoning. Brine overnight or at least 5 hours, if you're doing a short brine you can always inject it to make sure it gets deep inside the meat..

I wouldn't brine it. Season it and smoke it at 225* and pull it between 138* to 140*. The carryover will bring it up to 145*. The biggest mistake with pork loins is overcooking.

Just my 2 pennies.

Chris

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks for the replies.
By not brining do I run the risk of drying it out?

Will post pics and thoughts on the cook.

Fast forward to this weekend and I have a 4.5 pound tenderloin that I would like to try jerk pork with.

Just some info so a Butcher or other folks will know what you are talking about.
Pork Tenderloins, come 2 pieces to a package and big ones run 2 to 3 pounds Total. Each one is about as thick as a young child's forearm...

A pair of Pork Tenderloin...
raw-pork-tenderloin-D9WNF5.jpg

Pork Loin, on the other hand, are the 2 muscles running from the shoulders to the hams. They run 8 pounds or so when whole and are about 4" thick, 5 to 6" wide and 2 feet long. The Loin gets sold Whole, cut into Roasts or Pork Chops...JJ

A Center Cut Loin Roast...
pork_loin_half_web.jpg

Reactions: Fueling Around
Chefjimmyj,

Thanks for posting those pictures. Turns out this time I have a loin roast not a tenderloin.

Does that change any opinions on brining?

Fuelling - thanks for posting the marinade recipe.

If you choose to Brine, you will not need Salt in your Marinade. Adjust accordingly.
Most important thing for Juicy Pork loin... Don't overcook it! Work your plan and take the meat off the heat when the center IT hits 135°F, then rest 15-20 minutes before slicing. The Final IT should rise to 145 with a Blush of Pink...JJ

Reactions: Fueling Around
Today was the day. I chose not to brine and made my own marinade. It wasn't the one mentioned about but essentially the same. It smelled amazing. I put the pork on at 12:30 at 225. By 2:00 it was cooking too fast so I backed my pellet grill down to 200. That slowed things down until it was closer to dinner time. I knew my family would not eat it if there was a trace of pink so I let it go until an IT of 155. Still turned out good but just a touch on the dry side. Next time I'll save some marinade prior to adding the meat to have for serving. Ended up serving it with cuban beans and rice. Have plenty of pics but I'm getting an error saying the files are too large. I've not encountered that before.

Great job!
You passed the eater test?

Pellet poopers will dry out your meat due to the airflow.
I do my jerk on the kettle and use a smoke tube loaded with jerk pellets.
Wife has been iffy on the jerk until I used the chef jimmyj chef jimmyj marinade overnight on chicken thighs.
My next round of pork chunks will be 2 days in the marinade.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky