Jerk Pork Kabobs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Here's another simple one I like to do and with all the recent jerk threads, I was in the mood for something easy and different from all the chicken I've been eating lately. Jerk Pork Kabobs it is.

2 pork tenderloins were cubed and marinated overnight in Jerk marinade.
2 green bell peppers, cubed
1 red onion, cubed
1 pineapple cubed

Peppers and onions were lightly tossed with oil and seasoned with salt and pepper prior to assembling the skewers. Once skewered I dusted everything with some dry jerk seasoning from Island Spice Co.
IMG_5178.jpg

Cooking on high heat, turning frequently. Starting to pick up that char.
IMG_5180.jpg

All done.
IMG_5181.jpg

I just ate these off the skewer nothing fancy and no sides. This made quite a bit so tomorrow's dinner I will serve the pork, pineapple and veggies over rice.

I also took the leftover pineapple rind and core to make Tepache. It's my first time making it, so we'll see how it turns out in a few days.
IMG_5175.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Love the kabobs! Looks really good. Be interested in how the tepache turns out, and how it's made.

Ryan

Looks awesome Joe!! I love jerk seasoned pork and chicken both as those kabobs are money. Now that other stuff you are making, I’m off to google to figure out WTH it is lol.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wow Joe!! Those are some fantastic looking skewers!! I'd not done any for a long time till recently but have rejuvenated my love affair with them. Great job my friendand looking forward to the next installment.

Robert

Reactions: TNJAKE
Love the kabobs! Looks really good. Be interested in how the tepache turns out, and how it's made.

Ryan
Looks awesome Joe!! I love jerk seasoned pork and chicken both as those kabobs are money. Now that other stuff you are making, I’m off to google to figure out WTH it is lol.

Thanks Ryan and Jeff. Tepache is a fermented pineapple drink made using the rinds and core, sugar and water.

I used one pineapple rind and core
1 cup of brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
5 cloves
Water

I placed everything in a jar and used just a hair under one qt of water (all I could fit). Stir until sugar is disolved and cover with a cheese cloth, lid (be sure to burp the mixture if using a tight lid) or an airlock.

I checked mine this morning and I have the fermentation process started. I’ll check for taste in 24 hours.

Wow Joe!! Those are some fantastic looking skewers!! I'd not done any for a long time till recently but have rejuvenated my love affair with them. Great job my friendand looking forward to the next installment.

Robert

Thanks Robert! These came out pretty good, especially when grilled pineapple is involved. You opened the flood gates when you did your sausage skewers. I think the wife wants to do a healthier chicken sausage one next.

Joe the Tiger King I mean the Kabob King at it again! Looks great man great job on those. I need to try out some pork kabobs soon usually its shrimp or chicken. Keep em coming bruh. Nice job!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks great Joe, The wife and I haven't had kabobs in years. May have to change that.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Ryan and Jeff. Tepache is a fermented pineapple drink made using the rinds and core, sugar and water.

Sounds like something you'd add copious amounts of rum to :emoji_wink: When you say it ferments, does that mean it's creating alcohol? If not I bet you could add a small amount of Brewer's yeast to it and make something really interesting. Hmmm...I might just have to give this a shot and see what I can some up with. I've got a bunch of different kinds of yeast around here for beer making so I might just have to give this a try and see what I can come up with. Could well be a nice Summer time drink.

Robert

They look fantastic Joe

Thank you Jim!

Joe the Tiger King I mean the Kabob King at it again! Looks great man great job on those. I need to try out some pork kabobs soon usually its shrimp or chicken. Keep em coming bruh. Nice job!

Thanks John! You should try them out with some of the homemade jerk sauce you get. I bet that would be killer!

Looks great Joe, The wife and I haven't had kabobs in years. May have to change that.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris! I started making them quite regularly this summer and changing up ingredients to keep them interesting. Plus they’ve been pretty easy to put together.

Sounds like something you'd add copious amounts of rum to :emoji_wink: When you say it ferments, does that mean it's creating alcohol? If not I bet you could add a small amount of Brewer's yeast to it and make something really interesting. Hmmm...I might just have to give this a shot and see what I can some up with. I've got a bunch of different kinds of yeast around here for beer making so I might just have to give this a try and see what I can come up with. Could well be a nice Summer time drink.

Robert

Robert, I think the alcohol content is quite low, less than 2% from what I read? Seems to be in the same ballpark as Kombucha, which I like.

After a few days it will turn into pineapple vinegar. All the recipes I looked at state not to go past 3-5 days. A quicker ferment will give you a sweeter product like a pineapple soda, the longer would be more tart.

This is my first foray into home fermenting, so I’m just getting my feet wet. I do want to try making my own femented hot sauce. That’s interested me for quite a while.

I’m interested in your thoughts on the process and what you could make using your brewing equipment.

I’m interested in your thoughts on the process and what you could make using your brewing equipment.

Unless you're wanting to make a monster batch of hot sauce you'd want to scale back on the size of the equipment I use for beer making. I have two large kettles, one for steeping the grains and the other is the brew kettle. Then it's into an 8 gallon bucket with an air lock installed for a week for primary fermentation. From there it transfers to a 7 gallon glass jug called a carboy for another week as a clarification process. The air lock is just a one-way valve that allows the Co2 to escape while fermenting so the lid does not blow off the bucket from the pressure. I'm not at all familiar with fermenting hot sauce but what you'd need would be super simple to create / build / improvise. I may have some equipment in the attic I'm not using that could be sent your way if we can figure out the process. I'd be interested in giving it a shot also so might do a little research. I believe our good friend chilerelleno chilerelleno is pretty familiar with the process. I may reach out to him and get his thoughts.This could be a lot of fun and if I find it's a viable option to make larger batches, I know I have an abundance of larger scale equipment that I could dedicate to the hot sauce. Wanna put our heads together and see if we can make this happen?

Brain dump!!
Robert

Reactions: xray
Haven't done any myself but have a friend that makes wine and we always help bottle it. Its about 18 % alcohol so not your average wine. Cranberry wine has left some nice solids in bottom of carboy...great topping for pancakes or waffles, just not for kids.

Ryan

Unless you're wanting to make a monster batch of hot sauce you'd want to scale back on the size of the equipment I use for beer making. I have two large kettles, one for steeping the grains and the other is the brew kettle. Then it's into an 8 gallon bucket with an air lock installed for a week for primary fermentation. From there it transfers to a 7 gallon glass jug called a carboy for another week as a clarification process. The air lock is just a one-way valve that allows the Co2 to escape while fermenting so the lid does not blow off the bucket from the pressure. I'm not at all familiar with fermenting hot sauce but what you'd need would be super simple to create / build / improvise. I may have some equipment in the attic I'm not using that could be sent your way if we can figure out the process. I'd be interested in giving it a shot also so might do a little research. I believe our good friend chilerelleno chilerelleno is pretty familiar with the process. I may reach out to him and get his thoughts.This could be a lot of fun and if I find it's a viable option to make larger batches, I know I have an abundance of larger scale equipment that I could dedicate to the hot sauce. Wanna put our heads together and see if we can make this happen?

Brain dump!!
Robert

For the fermented hot sauce all that is really needed are mason jars with airlock lids, even the cheap silicone ones would work to vent the CO2.

Peppers, vegetables and/or fruit would be placed in a 3% salt brine and weighed down with weights to keep everything underneath the solution. Once the desired results are achieved via fermentation, the mash can be blended adding back the brine as you please. You could add vinegar to lower the PH to stop the fermentation process and place in the fridge. You could do secondary ferments with fresh fruit juice added for different flavor profiles or even heat everything for pasteurization.

I remember seeing a few threads that tropics tropics did for fermented hot sauce.

As for a large scale operation, it’s probably not needed unless you’re going into a business. I’m looking to start with small batch stuff so I can try and make different sauces.

Using a quart worth of hot sauce would go a long way I would imagine.

That’s the short cliff note version that I’m versed in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky