Jaternice-ish Sausage, lol

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mj1angier

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 19, 2022
I went thru the freezer last week and got all the bites of offal that I had collected over the past year- hearts, kidneys ,livers, tongues... most was from sheep but some from deer. Seamed like to day was a good day to make Jaternice sausage (https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/cooked/jaternice-czech)

This is the liver- I blanched it quick to get some of the blood out then cut it up so it would feed into grinder better
IMG_0358.jpg

This is the other stuff on slow simmer for about 1.5 hrs. I skim all the crud of the top after this photo
IMG_0359.jpg

This is all the onions, garlic, spices blended together. Some folks leave it chunky
IMG_0360.jpg

The other meats after cooking
IMG_0361.jpg

Cut up to go in grinder
IMG_0362.jpg

So from top to bottom- ground up other meats, barley, onion/ gralic mixture, and liver that was run raw-ish thru grinder
IMG_0363.jpg

My new stuffer was the bomb!
IMG_0364.jpg

After a 30 min simmer in broth at 175 deg. Had two to split on me
IMG_0366.jpg

They turned out pretty good. Pan fry with some brown mustard and a stout beer will make a man out of you!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That looks great! Was on my list to do for ever and since I was born in czechoslovakia many many years ago I just don't know why not. Am sure one day it will happen. Have made boudin several times and enjoyed the taste.as jiternice is similar am sure to like it also. Thanks for sharing your process.

Reactions: mj1angier
Mine came out pretty good flavor wise but it was a bit crumbly

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky