JALAPENO SNACK STICKS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
JALAPENO SNACK STICKS

Time for some more Snack Sticks. The last batch was pretty darn good, But…… I was requested to kick the next batch up a little. So I decided to go with Jalapenos.

Started with 5# of Ground Angus Chuck 80/20

Used AC Legg (Snack Stick Seasoning) (According to Directions)

4 – Heaping Tablespoons of Chopped Jalapenos (in a jar)

½ cup of Brown Sugar

¼ cup Teriyaki sauce

1 Tablespoon of Red Pepper flakes

About a cup of water, Mixed everything in the water then into the meat. Put in fridge till tomorrow.

After resting in the fridge for 24 hours, I was ready to stuff. Added ½ cup of water mixed well and into the stuffer. Used 21 mm collagen casings.  Resting in the fridge till tomorrow.

OK ---  Decided to try something new (At least for me) I don’t have an Electric smoker (I gotta get one) so doing these in the Oven. Now our Oven will only go down to 170° so I am going to have to play with it.

7:00 AM  - Laid out snack sticks on the racks

7:30 AM – oven at 100°  Snack sticks in

9:30 AM – Bumped Temp to 125°

Note: The lowest setting we have is the Warmer (170°)  so I turn it on for a few min. then turn it off to maintain the Low temps.

10:30 AM – Bumped temp to 150°

11:30 AM – Bumped temp to 160°

12:30 PM – Bumped temp to 170°

2:00 PM – Internal temps were 162° to 165° Pulled and hung for a bit.

After letting them rest, cut them into 6” sticks, Back in the fridge till tomorrow.

Added a half cup of water and mixed well before putting into stuffer

Collagen Casings on and ready to go

And were off and stuffing

Had to hang them for a bit

After an overnight rest in the fridge ready to Smoke !!  I mean Cook !!

I was trying to show the temp but flash killed that 

Hanging outside to cool

Ready to Cut

I cut these in 6" sticks

Thanks for Looking.  Flavor was great.  A little sweet (Just a little) a little spicy

and just a little heat from the Jalapenos and red pepper flakes

Wow. Looks great. Another recipe to try.

I always thought the #116 could be modded to make it hotter.

Wow. Looks great. Another recipe to try.

I always thought the #116 could be modded to make it hotter.

The first time I made them, everybody said they were good, But could stand a little more heat

Gary

Great looking sticks Gary!!

I really like your drying racks!  

We like a lot of heat too, and almost every recipe we try the first time needs more heat.

Points for sure!

Al

Great looking sticks Gary!!

I really like your drying racks!  

We like a lot of heat too, and almost every recipe we try the first time needs more heat.

Points for sure!

Al
Thanks Al, I agree most of the time I end up adding more heat, Thanks for the point too

Gary

Awesome!!
drool.gif

Those look Fantastic, Gary!!
drool.gif
drool.gif
----------------
points.gif

They sure do a lot of "Hangin' around".  
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear

Gary they look great,that was a fantastic job, working the oven the way you did.Points

Richie

Awesome!!
drool.gif

Those look Fantastic, Gary!!
drool.gif
drool.gif
----------------
points.gif

They sure do a lot of "Hangin' around".  
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear
Thanks John, How do you like those custom Meat Hangers

Gary

Gary they look great,that was a fantastic job, working the oven the way you did.Points

Richie
Thanks Richie,  at first I thought it was going to be a PITA but was really quite easy

Gary

Those look good!! One question, where do you get the smoke flavor from? Or don't you?
These were plane (No Smoke Flavor) Last batch I did on my RF

Gary

Snack sticks were a big hit for #2 son's Birthday He and my Daughter-in-law loved them

Gary

Good looking sticks!! Did you ice bath them?
No, I didn't on this batch  Took them out of the oven and hung them outside for a couple of hours before I cut them up.

Gary

I have always iced bath but I was thinking about not doing it next time. Just wondered what the real difference/end results are?

I dont ice bath my sticks either. From what I understand ice bathing can reduce the amount of shrinkage and wrinkling in your sticks resulting in a plumper stick. I like mine wrinkled so I dont bother with the bath.

Gotta have those wrinkles in snack sticks 

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky