Jalapeno Cheddar Venison Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sparkypgh

Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
Hello everyone,

First time poster so I figured I'd post my snack sticks I've been working on all morning. This was the first time doing sticks / smoked venison but I will be doing it every season for now on!

Did 25lbs (80/20 venison-pork) on my Traeger Eastwood 22 so I had to experiment with how many links per batch. The butcher I got my supplies from talked me into using a bigger size casing (23mm) which turned out a little smaller than a hot dog. The racks I bought for this worked out perfectly for the size of the grill / amount of sticks. Tasted amazing, and now they are vac-sealed and thrown in the freezer waiting to be shipped out and given away to friends and family.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or feedback.

Attachments

• 20191212_100032.jpg
    20191212_100032.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20191212_130101.jpg
    20191212_130101.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20191212_143208.jpg
    20191212_143208.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20191212_162917.jpg
    20191212_162917.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 75
Thanks for the compliments fellas. Definitely some labor involved but I'm happy with the results.

What was his argument for using the 23mms for snack sticks?
I was asking for tips / recommendations for a first timer and he told me that most people found the 23mm easier to work with with the stuffing tubes. With the 3/8 tube, you definitely get a lot of room to work with. Since these were the first sticks I've done, I can't say if the smaller sizes are more difficult or not, but next time I'll try the 19mm instead.

Reactions: fivetricks
Hurry and put me on your list of BEST friends and don't forget to send my early Xmas present !! lol Welcome to the forum and you did a great job on those snack sticks.. They won't last long

Looks great. Nice first time doing sausage. What stuffer you using? 19mm shouldnt be a problem with a 3/8 tube. I do 15mm with the 3/8 tube.

Reactions: fivetricks
Hurry and put me on your list of BEST friends and don't forget to send my early Xmas present !! lol Welcome to the forum and you did a great job on those snack sticks.. They won't last long
Lol thanks! i'll make sure i put you on there :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks great. Nice first time doing sausage. What stuffer you using? 19mm shouldnt be a problem with a 3/8 tube. I do 15mm with the 3/8 tube.
Thanks, I bought the 5lb LEM hand crank stuffer. It took me a while to get through the 25lbs with it but it made it through. The mix really does harden up like crazy and I was honestly worried about breaking the crank.

Thanks, I bought the 5lb LEM hand crank stuffer. It took me a while to get through the 25lbs with it but it made it through. The mix really does harden up like crazy and I was honestly worried about breaking the crank.

I have a cheap Kitchner 5 lb stuffer. If the meat gets to firm just mix alittle water in and and put in the stuffer

I have a cheap Kitchner 5 lb stuffer. If the meat gets to firm just mix alittle water in and and put in the stuffer
thanks for the tip, I'll definitely remember that for next time. The instructions said that the mixture turns into cement about 30 mins after pouring in the seasoning, cure, etc. I just assumed that was my problem.

thanks for the tip, I'll definitely remember that for next time. The instructions said that the mixture turns into cement about 30 mins after pouring in the seasoning, cure, etc. I just assumed that was my problem.

What seasoning did you use? I season my meat then put in the fridge over night then stuff the next day.

What seasoning did you use? I season my meat then put in the fridge over night then stuff the next day.
I used A.C. Legg's Jalapeno seasoning. I'd definitely recommend it to whoever has it locally. That's actually pretty funny, I ran my stuffer non stop trying to avoid having it harden up any more lol I would've loved to split that chore up

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky