Jalapeno Cheddar Quick Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Jalapeno Cheddar Quick Bread

Found this by a Jo-Anna Rooney and sounded good so had to try . Very glad I did.
DSC_5473.JPG
So got all the ingredients together, Mixed all the dry , all the wet and than the wet into the dry.
Than added the Jalapeno and cheese to the mix.
It is a very sticky mix , place that into a parchment lined loaf pan.
Had the smoker set to approx 350F. the 3 probes are just hanging inside. With Cherry chips going.

1.JPG
4.JPG
So mix in the loaf pan, than top with the extra cheese and diced pepper
2.JPG

3.JPG

After 30 minutes, starting to do what it should be doing

5.JPG

After 50 minutes , tested it with a tooth pick and came out clean , smells great when I opened the door

6.JPG 7.JPG
8.JPG

Took it in the house and let it cool for a bit while I kept working on supper ( Smoked Sweet and Sour Pork and Rice Stuffed Peppers )
Removed from pan , and of coarse I had to have a slice or two

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

Very light smoke as it was only on the top that was open really, and the cheese and jalapeno was/is great.
Next time I will add some of my maple back bacon diced up small and put in the mix. Just to see

But this is great and will do again

Thanks for hanging in there

David

Last edited:
Looks very good!! Thanks for sharing your recipe! And supper sounds delicious!!

Thanks for the like and the comment

No problem about the recipe, it was a good one , and an easy bread to make .
No kneading or having to let it raise. and a real good flavor

And yes supper was great also

David

Looks great, I've been making italian bread alot lately. I'm gonna have to give this one a try.

Thanks for the comment

I was going to make it as biscuits or rolls , but decided to follow they way they did it first ,
next time I will add some of my maple back bacon to the mix . Can't hurt to try

David

Holy cow that looks incredible David!! Somewhat reminds me of a thicker version of the jalapeno cheddar corn bread I'm known to make from time to time. I'm thinking I might just have to make this. Got a little shindig coming up next month and this just might make a fantastic addition.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Holy cow that looks incredible David!! Somewhat reminds me of a thicker version of the jalapeno cheddar corn bread I'm known to make from time to time. I'm thinking I might just have to make this. Got a little shindig coming up next month and this just might make a fantastic addition.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

It is very good and I was tossed about making it into biscuits or the bread. Bread won .
So simple to made . I can see trying to make my version of your onion rolls with this recipe also.

here is the how to that came with it , even though it is pretty straight forward.
Ignore my cook notes,

David
DSC_5474.JPG

That looks great! I wouldn’t find having a few slices right now for breakfast!

Thanks Joe for the like and the comment

I just had 2 slices in the toaster , even better today.

I really like this quick bread , I can see using this as a base and using different ingredients
like fried onions , or ham and cheese... etc

David

Thanks for the comment

I was going to make it as biscuits or rolls , but decided to follow they way they did it first ,
next time I will add some of my maple back bacon to the mix . Can't hurt to try

David
Agreed, that would be amazing as a biscuit sitting right next to a good bowl of chili.

I've been scared to try breads from scratch but this is one even I can handle. (Might add some ground pepper and onion, just sayin')
But what is Balkan-style yogurt??? Greek yogurt? (Geography doesn't sound right.)

I've been scared to try breads from scratch but this is one even I can handle. (Might add some ground pepper and onion, just sayin')
But what is Balkan-style yogurt??? Greek yogurt? (Geography doesn't sound right.)

Thanks Bill for the like and the comment

This is a very easy bread, no kneading and no waiting for it to rise. I did not even have to spray the parchment paper with oil.

Just mix all the dry. Mix all the wet. than mix all the wet into the dry
mix with spoon or what ever, than add your cheese and jalapeno
Spoon into loaf pan .
I baked mine in the smoker , but just use reg oven if you want for the first time at 350 deg. until a tooth pick comes out clean when stuck through the top in a few places
Should take approx 50 - 60 minutes

David

Add picture in a minute of the yogurt it is on the reg shelf with all the others . balkan must be a style

Yes to adding what you like, my next one will be my maple back bacon and cheese and onions

David

Last edited:
Bill bill1 bill1

I just used the vanilla one because that is what I had , it did not change the flavor at all. But plain is what it called for.
That's the fun of doing things for yourself. you can change things for yourself. And no one to answer to but MY WIFE. ha ha

David
DSC_5487.JPG
DSC_5488.JPG

Thanks David, I think Astro is a Canadian brand so your Nova Scotia address all adds up. (The Flavoured and Yogourt spelling is foreign to us south-of-the-border types too.)

I'm not finding it available in my 'hood. But I found a link saying Balkan style is any yogurt that cures in its commercial container. So what my store calls Greek yogurt is probably the only one that wouldn't work.

If anyone wants to correct my assumptions above, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks David for the help and pictures. yes, I missed that it was vanilla but plain shouldn't be hard to find. I think over 3 or 4% milkfat may be a little tough for me to find but I'll go looking.
CORRECTION: You used 1%, not the 6% in the recipe. That's helpful info too.

A search on yogurt bread gave me lots of hits. An example:
https://100krecipes.com/easy-yogurt-bread/
But the cheese and heat is definitely a better direction than the sweet in that recipe.

But it's seeming apparent now that I was over-thinking the yogurt part.
God bless the Balkans; but I'm going to Walmart.

Morning Bill
As for the Yogurt/Yogourt. you are right I think the author just used Balkan because that is what she liked.
And yes I used 1%mf. I also checked and could not find it in your stores on a search.
I can't see Canada being the only one that makes Yogurt that cures in the container. Maybe it is just under a different name.
Now in saying that I think any Yogurt could be used. As a lot of recipes call for yogurt and do not specify style. If it is not the Balkan style I would just stir it first.

David

Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky