Jalapeno bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pa42phigh

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 17, 2016
I’ve made plain bacon a cpl times now. I want to add some jalapeno flavors to it. I have dried and ground jalapeno powder that I made. I’m looking for a starting point on how much of it to add to 5 lbs and opinion on when to add it. At the beginning of the cure or before smoking it
thanks

I think I would add it with the cure & give it a dust when you smoke it too!
It sounds pretty darn good to me!
I think you are going to have to experiment with the amount, did you grind the seeds & veins too?
Al

Reactions: pa42phigh
Few seeds not a lot. I was thinking at starting with 3 tsp in the cure of 5lb

I’ve made plain bacon a cpl times now. I want to add some jalapeno flavors to it. I have dried and ground jalapeno powder that I made. I’m looking for a starting point on how much of it to add to 5 lbs and opinion on when to add it. At the beginning of the cure or before smoking it
thanks
Hi there and welcome!

I have only ever used the LEM's Jalapeno Bacon Cure seasoning.
I don't have an answer for the amount of Jalapeno powder you need to add but I can tell you that my experience is that you add all the seasoning with the cure and it makes its way into the meat plenty even after rinsing (using the LEM pack).

Now please please please head this next advise!
At the very least, wear a mask or a bandanna or something to cover your nose and mouth. When you get to pouring higher amounts of pepper powder on stuff and tossing it around it WILL get in the air and you WILL breathe it in. This will cause sneezing, burning, and snot slobber like you may have never experienced LOL. Just cover up and you are ok
Oh, I would also highly recommend a pair of goggles or some kind of decent glasses as well :)

Best of luck and let us know how it comes out! :)

Reactions: pa42phigh
Hi there and welcome!

I have only ever used the LEM's Jalapeno Bacon Cure seasoning.
I don't have an answer for the amount of Jalapeno powder you need to add but I can tell you that my experience is that you add all the seasoning with the cure and it makes its way into the meat plenty even after rinsing (using the LEM pack).

Now please please please head this next advise!
At the very least, wear a mask or a bandanna or something to cover your nose and mouth. When you get to pouring higher amounts of pepper powder on stuff and tossing it around it WILL get in the air and you WILL breathe it in. This will cause sneezing, burning, and snot slobber like you may have never experienced LOL. Just cover up and you are ok
Oh, I would also highly recommend a pair of goggles or some kind of decent glasses as well :)

Best of luck and let us know how it comes out! :)
Sound like the same as when I made horseradish fom scratch but was worth the discomfort.

Sound like the same as when I made horseradish fom scratch but was worth the discomfort.

In the future I will be wearing eye, nose, and mouth protection and doing it outside lol.

thanks

I'm different I guess. I want to make sure that the full flavor of the pepper (chipotle, jalapeno, ancho) comes through so I dust one side of the bacon after smoking it and before sealing it up. Sealing helps compress the pepper dust to the meat. I sell about 30 pounds of this bacon every month and the people love it

Dert,

I have had good luck not using jalapeno powder but fresh. For me I think something gets lost flavor wise in the powder. Last batch I made I just did a standard cure for the bacon and added in 3-4 fresh ones that I minced down in the food processor. They dont add enough moisture to mess with curing process and the flavor was amazing. I guess adjust number of peppers to reflect amount of heat. Hope it helps !!

Neo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky