IT'S TIME TO ADD TO MY LOX STASH! Update STL's too! FINAL PICS POST #25!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Finally we are getting some cooler weather tomorrow morning, I thought it was going to be today, but it was 77 when I woke up this AM. Too warm to smoke lox. So I postponed the smoke until tomorrow when the morning temp will be 58. Perfect for lox. I have them drying in the fridge right now. I won't go thru all the steps I do for lox, but if your interested you can get them at: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/homemade-lox-with-recipe-steps-plenty-of-q-view.106029/.
Here they are ready to dry out in the fridge until morning. I had to add an extra day to the cure time because of the weather, but the fish seem perfect. Nice & firm with good color. I'll probably put them on real early on the morning, and they won't take long to smoke. I had a bagel & lox for breakfast & saved the other half for lunch, since it was my last batch from last December. Just as good as when I took it off the smoker!
Here it is ready to get dried out until tomorrow.
IMG_0638.jpg

Im looking forward to seeing the end result! This is one thing on my cold smoking list i must try soon.thanks for posting the link with the step by steps thats going to help me out when the time comes!

Go Al! I know it's going to turn out to be great lox due to the fact that I just followed your recipe about a week ago. I'll be doing it again in a few weeks, seems the wife likes a bagel with shmear and lox every other day. RAY

Watching. I really want to try lox. Not the biggest fan of salmon but I think I would like it prepared as lox with capers.

Al
I really like your LOX.
One day i will learn to make it.

Nice!

Great minds thinking alike... and apparently have the same problems lol.
Mine is drying in the garage fridge waiting to be smoked tomorrow morning. With the cold front that came through I got a jump on it so I could do my lox cold smoke as well here in TX.

I look forward to seeing your results and know my post will not be too far behind yours since I tried a few different things this time around :)

I think I have one package left,going to have to look for some nice fillets.
I'm in for the finish
Richie

Waiting patiently for the checkpoint.

Point for sure
Chris

I’m following to see how this ends up. I have never had lox and I’m sure I’m missing out on something.

Will check back when They are in the smoker!
Al
Go Al! I know it's going to turn out to be great lox due to the fact that I just followed your recipe about a week ago. I'll be doing it again in a few weeks, seems the wife likes a bagel with shmear and lox every other day. RAY
Watching!
Watching. I really want to try lox. Not the biggest fan of salmon but I think I would like it prepared as lox with capers.
Al
I really like your LOX.
One day i will learn to make it.
Nice!

Great minds thinking alike... and apparently have the same problems lol.
Mine is drying in the garage fridge waiting to be smoked tomorrow morning. With the cold front that came through I got a jump on it so I could do my lox cold smoke as well here in TX.

I look forward to seeing your results and know my post will not be too far behind yours since I tried a few different things this time around :)
I think I have one package left,going to have to look for some nice fillets.
I'm in for the finish
Richie
Looks like a Great Start, Al !!
Is the Salmon run over now, down there?
Like.

Bear
Waiting patiently for the checkpoint.

Point for sure
Chris
I’m following to see how this ends up. I have never had lox and I’m sure I’m missing out on something.

They are in the Lang right now, should be done in a couple of hours.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

Will update when they are out.
Al

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Lox is done!
IMG_0656.jpg

In it's container for an over night rest, then slicing tomorrow.

IMG_0659.jpg

Looks & smells real good!!
Oh, by the way, since I had the Lang out I thought I would smoke a rack of STL's that have been in the freezer forever.
I just coated them with mustard & garlic salt & pepper.
IMG_0647.jpg
IMG_0650.jpg
IMG_0653.jpg

Into the Lang she went!
Gonna run it a little hotter today, thinking 270-280 cause I'm kinda getting a late start!
Will update later.
Al

That salmon looks to be perfect Al, of course! Seems like you're in for a nice day, smokin' up some ribs, maybe have a beer or two, ball on TV. RAY

Thanks Ray!
Yea already had a couple of beers, and the Lang just settled in around 300, gonna just let it run there. Spritz the ribs every 30-45 minutes with apple cider vinegar & brown sugar.
Hopefully they will be done for a late lunch, early dinner!
Al

Reactions: forktender
Thanks John!
Ribs have been in about an hour or so & taking on some nice color!
IMG_0662.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky